Need help understanding a stitch

I am having trouble understanding a stitch for the hat I am making.Its a purposely twisted stitch to make a mini cable. Here are the instructions to make it.

Crown Decrease pattern:
Mini Cable pattern:
Rnd 1: *[(P1, K2T, P1), K8] , and repeat from * around.
Rnd 2: *[(P1, K2, P1) k8] and repeat from * around.
Abbreviation: K2T: K2 together, but do not move the st to right needle; instead k1 into first st and move the two st over. This is twist st.
K2 rnds of the mini-cable pattern

Can someone put this in an easier to understand language?
Andi

You might verify this with someone else, but it sounds to me like you do this:

knit2tog, but don’t drop the 2 sts off the left needle. knit into the first stitch of the k2tog. now drop the stitches off the left needle.

Good luck.

Thanks but I still don’t understand. This is probably really simple but thats the ones I have the most trouble with, the simple ones.
Andi

You insert your right needle into the two sts at the end of the left needle knitwise and pull the yarn through them just as you would to knit one stitch. Only, don’t drop the two stitches off the left needle like you normally would. Now it’s going to feel a bit funny, but leaving your stitches that way, insert your right needle into the stitch nearest the tip of your left needle (that you just knit together with the other stitch) and knit through it. When you pull the yarn through that one stitch, let both stitches that you originally knit drop off your left needle. Does that help it make sense? It will probably look funny when you’re done, but like someone once said, “Trust the Pattern”.

I have a question b/c I am doing the exact same stitch.

Are you increasing a stitch, b/c when I do it, I am. I am doing it like a K2T, but before dropping KFB in the first stitch.

The pattern I am knitting doesn’t acct. for an extra stitch though.

Should this be an increase?

(sorry to piggyback on the OP’s thread, but it is the same st and I thought maybe further explanation would help the OP out as well)

You shouldn’t be increasing. You’re not doing a k2tog and a kfb, but rather a k2tog and a k1. You take two sts, knit them together, and before dropping, knit once into the first stitch.

A twist stitch sounds much harder to do than it really is. Knit 2 tog, leave on needle, then insert the right needle into the 1st st only and knit it. Try it on some scrap yarn. It just twists the stitches, it doesn’t inc or dec.

If your pattern tells you to KFB in the first stitch after k2tog, then you will be increasing a stitch. The OP’s pattern tells her to just k into the first stitch. Double-check your pattern, and if the sts don’t add up, maybe post a bit more to verify?

No mine tells me to T2R- knit 2 together, but instead of dropping off the needle knit into the front of the first stitch. It isn’t an increase from looking at the rest of the pattern.

I am still confused though.

I keep trying it again and again and am still ending up with two sts, one from the k2t and one from the k into the first stitch.

Grrrr- no one has a video of it either.

Obviously I am missing something.

Yes, you will have two sitches when you’re finished. One from the k2tog and one from the k1. The stitch takes two stitches and has you knit them in a funny way so that the two stitches appear twisted. But you will end up with two stitches. If you had done a k2tog and a kfb, you would have ended up with three stitches. If that still doesn’t seem right to you, post a couple lines of the pattern so we can see where you’re confused.

You’re supposed to end up with 2 stitches. It’s neither an increase or a decrease, just knitting the original stitches differently so one twists over the other.

Light bulb!!

I was thinking of the k2t and thinking there should only be one st not taking into acct the other one. I was seeing that other stitch thinking it was an increase.

Gosh- now I see. I was doing it right all along but thinking I wasn’t because I had two.

Dense.

Thanks so much for having patience with me. I hope the OP got this stitch as well.

Thanks for all your help. I finally understood the stitch and got the hat finished. YOu guys are so great at explaining things to new knitters that it amazes me at how much better I understand how things are done.
Andi