Need help reading a pattern!

Hello,

I need help reading this section of my pattern:

“Keeping patt correct, inc 1 st at each end on next and 2 foll 4th rows, then on
1 foll 6th rows, taking inc sts into rev st st. 32 sts.”

I read this to mean increase rows are rows 4, 8, 12 and 18. I have 18 stitches to start so I’m not sure how this adds 14 stitches.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the link to the pattern:
https://downloads.lovecrafts.com/10291062_Mia-in-Rowan-Downloadable-PDF_2.pdf?Expires=1613184574&Signature=Sj8kP0P-LEXVaX8Vx~0UD5EIGUw3TMHsTKJz4mT4W55rZP3bwHJJI6xJ6oQzkCbO5B~3s~Hga0GIVd19XX-1gG2Ekc9SBNCtv6wiNpWxDKI3uQ2LxFC2HDOpElrEr2~8SFBzBUTQTF1dsDQvRML2C~PO208grQb615I4hNCv82yC9oPaU53tVhuSUgm3Yr1Fb46F7F71~yD9KqL-kCNrL~8TbC3NLVRCMK1HvTLiSNJw1EwC8oED4L0QFf7eZI50OJbySqhwhBONg7KHN7kpnAR8SVQZfu-N~Z2OkhLXB8gxykoXWgihMVvxLHKQDxuPtaw3oM2e9UENybwstKcpug__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIBW2GKAJU2YWZVLA

Welcome to the forum!
If you call the next row, row 1 then you would increase at each end of rows 1, 5 and 9 then on row 15. That’s 8sts increased however.

If this is the correct pattern it looks like you should start with 24sts after completing row 16, so 8sts increased is correct. Have you worked rows 1-16 with increases yet? There are increases for the first size in 3 of those rows.

I haven’t worked row 1-16 yet. Thank you so much for clarifying! I think I understand now. I’ve knitted for a while but I’m just starting to use patterns like this.

The more patterns you work, the easier this gets. Usually patterns are written as sparely as possible so that every word counts. You’re doing just the right thing in asking as you go along or read ahead.
Enjoy working this pattern and come back if you have more questions.

Another question about this pattern!

“ Inc 1 st at end of next and foll alt row, then at same edge on foll row, ending with RS facing for next row. 35 sts.”

I just want to make sure I get this right. I currently have 32 stitches after completing a RS row. So for these instructions I’ll assume next row is row 1(WS). Would I increase at the end of row 1 and 3 and increase at the start of row 2? = 3 stitches

Once you’ve gotten to 32sts, work 3 more rows, a WS, a RS and another WS. Then you will turn and have a RS facing for the increases.

Work 3 rows, ending with RS facing for next row.**
Inc 1 st at beg of next and foll alt row, then at same edge on foll row,
ending with RS facing for next row. 35sts.

Inc at the beginning of the row (call it row 1, a RS row) and then at the beginning of row 3 and at the end of row 4 (a WS row).

Amazing. Thanks again! I’m slowly getting through the pattern

1 Like