need help reading a pattern

I am making a hat on circulars. The pattern says" Each round of the written instructions must be repeated around for a total of five times , 5 sections."
HUH??
The first row directions: K4, C2B, p2 [k2, p2] twice. I know the word "twice’ refers to doing an entire section (rows 1-13) twice (to make the hat taller and save paper for the pattern writer!)
Doesn’t the pattern for row 1 = 14 stitches? I should have 108 stitches at the end of my rounds and x5 just doesn’t compute. I would only have 70 stitches, right? do I just have to figure out more K2,P2 to fit?? Ive worked it backwards and forwards and I am ready to thrown in the yarn! I mean towel!
From the photo of the finished project, looks like there is a repeat of the pattern five times around. I understand to repeat, but how do you know where the pattern stops and repeats?
Thanks in advance. This is mighty confusing!

Hmm… can you please tell us the name of the pattern and give a link if possible? Don’t post the pattern here please just a link.

K4, C2B, p2 [k2, p2][k2, p2] (only that part in brackets twice) this whole line 5 more times.
K4, C2B, p2 [k2, p2][k2, p2]

18x6=108

I’m thinking it must be wrong saying a total of 5 and it means 5 more for a total of 6. Because that’s the math to get 108.

Jan, it’s a pattern I bought on revelry. They say I can’t share any of it. The pattern is Ditto by Anne G. Maybe you could look it up to see a photo of the hat?

from erica feltner

Mike, I bet that’s right! I’ll try it. Bless you, oh mathy one.

from erica feltner

I only noticed at 5 times it was only one repeat off your 108.

If you paid for it and on Ravelry it should be easy to get in touch with the author to check.

Most of t he patterns I do aren’t charts so I’m not great at them. I’ll let others help with that. Here’s the pattern link though. It’s pretty! A link to the pattern is always fine it’s the posting of the whole pattern that’s a problem with copyright issues. Designers like links because it leads to more purchases. This one is free so she’ll probably get more downloads. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So it is 6x for 108. 5 is for 90. Yay, I counted right.

But the chart makes it so easy :grinning:

1 Like

Jan, that was a free one? Sheesh. I have too many projects going on. I thought I paid for it! Sure looks like an interesting design, right? I get bored with big projects or kpkpkp all the time. Looking forward to starting(over) and doing it right! Thanks for your support.

from erica feltner

1 Like

Mike, the charts freak me out a little. This is my first attempt so I thought written + chart would be a safe way to begin chart patterns. My Significant says I unknit more than I actually knit and I think he’s correct in his assessment, but I enjoy the process as much as the finished product so I don’t mind ripping a little now and then! Thank you for all your help, man. I appreciate you! Happy knitting!

from erica feltner

1 Like

I look at charts as big picture compared to the row before, take note of which numbers are different.
I’ve accepted frogging because I often don’t have a pattern.

Que es”frogging”?

from erica feltner

Ooh! I looked frogging up. I have figured out how to undo a mistake by undoing 2-3 stitches and ripping straight down vertically and fixing and reknitting just that skinny section with a crochet hook. Thank goodness or I’d have given this whole hobby up! Appreciate your wise words!

from erica feltner

Pardon? Parlez lentement s’il vous plait. Je suis American.

Frogging, rip-it rip-it. :frog: :wink:

Dropping a row and a crochet hook is handy.