Need help on a pattern

so the sack boy pattern is now available online (yay) and I’m on the hands part of the doll. The fingers to be more exact. I have no idea how to do the next step :(. Can someone explain the following please?

Cast on 3 sts at beg of next 2 rows for thumb.
[18 sts]
Cast off 3 sts at beg of next 2 rows [12 sts].

once I understand that I think I can understand the rest…:mrgreen:

At the beginning of the next 2 rows, cast on 3 sts each, that will give you 18 sts at the end of the 2nd row. Then bind/cast off 3 sts at the beginning of the following 2 rows and that will take you back down to 12 sts. Yes, the 3 sts will only be knit for a row or 2 to make them fingerlike.

I’ve never understood why pattern writers word it that way… you’re really casting on 3 stitches at the end of the previous row. Since it’s a small number of stitches, I usually use the backwards loop cast-on. There’s a video for it here in the video section, if you need it. So you’ll cast on 3 at the end of the previous row, knit back across them and whatever stitches you have on your needle already, then cast on 3 at the end and knit back across them and the other stitches. Then you’ll bind off 3 stitches at the beginning of the next row (the 1st 3 that you cast on), knit across, then bind off 3 stitches at the beginning of the next row (the last 3 you cast on) and knit across.

I’ve never understood why pattern writers word it that way… you’re really casting on 3 stitches at the end of the previous row.

It depends on which CO the pattern writer uses. If it’s a knit or cable CO, you do them at the beginning of a row, not the end.

Ahh, true. Thanks! :slight_smile:

thanks…I think I got it now…I was thinking you had to cast on 3 stitches twice without going back across, so that’s where I was stuck.

I am new to knitting help and was wondering if I could get someone to help me with a pattern instruction that I have never seen before.

cast on 8 sts

next row (rs) knit

turn work upside down. With WS facing and another needle, pick up and knit 10 sts along cast on edge. 16sts.

After you CO 8 sts, don’t turn to the back, but turn your work around so the very edge of the CO is facing up, and pick up 10 sts knitwise (though I think that should be 8 sts) in each of the cast on stitches. Then you will have 16 sts total. There’s a video for picking up stitches on the bottom of the Advanced Techniques page, or maybe the Tips page.

ok I need a little more help…thumb is done and now I"m working on the other fingers but the pattern seems a bit vague…it says

“Next row K7, turn and work on these sts only.
Next row P3, turn and work on these sts only.
Next row Knit.”

ok I did that so now I have 7 sts on one needle and 5 on the other…then it says to

“Break yarn, leaving a 40in (100cm) length. Thread
through sts on needle, draw up tightly, then
oversew side edges of finger together.”

which sts am I threading the yarn thru? and what do they mean by oversewing the edges?

I think the idea is that each finger is going to be a tube. Thread the yarn through the ‘finger’ stitches, then sew the sides of the finger together so that you get a tiny little tube. Does that make sense?

ok I understand that part then…my problem is i must have misread the first directions somehow cuz I’m in the wrong spot then aren’t I? 7 sts on one side and five on the other? ug these fingers are givin me so much trouble >_<

oh wait am I folding it over to sew them together?..think I understand now

Nope, you’re not folding anything over, you’re just going to hold the needles next to each other and graft them together. It is possible that you missed a decrease on one of those sides- does the pattern tell you how many stitches you’re supposed to end with? If you have the right number of stitches then you might just have them lined up differently, which is not a big deal.