Need help obtaining proper gauge with Italian yarn

I’m new to the forum and a relative knitting beginner trying to understand how to get the proper gauge for a cardigan pattern using some Italian yarn that’s presented in cm. So…it has a square with 22M x 28R and at the top 10 x 10 cm. Additionally, the needle size is 3.5 - 4 which I understand to be size 4 to 6 needle sizes. Then…there’s the sweater pattern I need to obtain gauge for which says 5.5 stitches = 1 inch. It also says to use #4 and #6 needles or size to obtain gauge. I’m trying to sinc up what info. on the yarn says with the pattern. Any suggestions on what size needles to use to obtain my gauge? How many rows and what stitches to use? Any help with the translating would be most appreciated. I know it’s important to get the gauge correct before starting my project.[/img]

What you need to do is find your gauge with this yarn. If you tend to knit a bit tight, start with the larger needle and knit up a swatch and see what you come up with. If you tend to knit loose, use a smaller needle. I think the only way to really find what the gauge would be is to pick a needle size, do some knitting and see what you come up with. Then you can adjust up or down accordingly.

22Mx28R means 22 stitches and 28 rows
10 cm = 4 inches
So, the gauge of the yarn is 5.5 stitches per inch on size 4-6 needles.

Start with size 5 needles and check your gauge in stockingette.
:thumbsup: