Need help interpreting: WS "as set" on pattern

OK, so I thought I knew what “as set” meant, but when I knit a swatch, it doesn’t look right–well, it doesn’t look like the picture. So I thought I’d ask and see if I am doing this right!

My pattern gives directions (by way of a diagram) for rows 1 and 3. WS rows are completed “as set”. (pattern is 9 st repeat)

Row 1: k1; slip one onto cable needle in front, then k1, then k1 from cable needle; k1 tbl; slip one onto cable needle in back, then k1, then k1 from cable needle; k3

Row 3: k1; slip one onto cable needle in front, then k1, then k1 from cable needle; k1 tbl; slip one onto cable needle in back, then k1, then k1 from cable needle; k1, p2
(notice the only difference is the last 3 sts)

So, when I work the WS, do I still slip sts onto a cable needle? I have tried this and it looks way too tight.

I have also tried just purling the purls and knitting the knits on the WS, and this looks better, and mostly like the pic, but since I am using a different yarn, it is a little hard for me to tell if it is right.

Any advice and suggestions will be much appreciated!

My guess would be thath “as set” means knit the knits and purl the purls. No cabling.

I agree, knit the knits and purl the purls.

thank you, thank you, thank you!

:slight_smile: