Need help for instructions

The instructions reads:
Cardigan
Back
With smaller needles and MC,cast on 51 sts.
*1st row:(RS).K1.P1.K1. Rep from * to end of row.
2nd row:Purl.
Rep last 2 rows for Rib Pat once more.

Proceed as follows:
1st row:(RS).Knit.
2nd and alt rows: Purl.
3rd row: K0.*K3.P1. Rep from *to last 3 sts. K3.
5th row: knit.
7th row: k1. *p1.k3. Rep from * to last 2 sts. P1. K1.
8th row: Purl.
Rep last 8 rows for Dot Pat until work from beg measures 6.5 ins, ending with RS facing for next row.

Shape armholes: Cast off 2 sts beg next 4 rows. 43 sts.

Cont even in pat until armhole measures 4.5 ins, ending with RS facing for next row.

Shape shoulders: Cast off 6 sts beg of next 2 rows, then 6 sts beg following 2 rows. Cast off rem 19 sts.

I’m going to shape armholes.

My questions:

1. How do I cast off 2sts (Should be the 1st 4 sts, right?)
    Should I knit 2 sts together instead of knitting one
    or should I do the following way:

Knit the first 2 stitches; insert left needle into stitch you knitted first, and pull it over the second stitch and completely off the needle. One stitch is now bound off.

1. While following those more specific instructions, I should still follow the previous instructions, which repeats every 8 rows until shoulders are finished. Am I right?

I’m new to knitting. Thx for your help!:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

You will cast off the first three stitches (which is only counts as two stitches). By knitting the first 2 stitches, slip the first stitch over the second stitch, than knit the next stitch and slip the previous stitch over the stitch just worked and knit in pattern until the end. That should leave you with 49 stitches. Than work three more stitches on the next row, 47 stitches will remain after that and so on until your decreases are complete and 43 stitches remain.

Continue working your 8 rows for the next 4 1/2" are completed than work the required decreases and bind off.
Katrina

Thank you, Mystery_Gyrl. But I’m still confused.

"By knitting the first 2 stitches, slip the first stitch over the second stitch, than knit the next stitch and slip the previous stitch over the stitch just worked and knit in pattern until the end. That should leave you with 49 stitches. "

Should I knit the 1st 2 sts first before doing anything? Then insert left needle into stitch you knitted first, and pull it over the second stitch and completely off the needle. One stitch is now bound off. Is this what you mean?