Need help finding free classes

Hi there,looking for free classes to learn to knit or crochet for anxiety. I am in oak park. Can anyone help?

What state is Oak Park in?

Your best bet might be a senior center (if you are old enough) or maybe a community center. Most classes I’ve seen do cost something though. I know yarn stores charge. Gotta pay the teachers. :slight_smile: Have you looked at YouTube? Here’s a few of MANY, many videos.

**Also don’t forget Knitting Help has lots of videos. This link goes to a 3 part video class. Plus there are videos for increases, decreases, color techniques, etc. **
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/learn-to-knit

I would check your local library. Mine offers classes for both knitting and crochet for free. Look on your county’s or town’s library website and see what they’ve got on their calendar!

Check about classes with local Rec Centers or adult learning centers. Occasionally they will charge a small fee.

Hth,
Knitcindy

It’s in ca…San Diego 92105
Ty much

Ty much

I’m in south Orange County, CA. :slight_smile: I mostly learned to knit from online resources. Give it a try and come in here and we can help you most of the time.

Self-taught is the only way I can do anything. I get too anxious when I’m trying to learn a new skill in front of other people. I have issues. . . five years on Paxil helped with the general social anxiety, but the bravest thing I’ve ever done is start clogging lessons this year, and I swear I wanted to slug the lady who kept telling me, “You need to think positively. You’ll do fine if you believe in yourself!”

I was thinking, “This is some kind of Joel Osteen name-it-and-claim-it Prosperity Gospel clogging nonsense you’re preaching, lady. I’m a klutz and it’s gonna take me three times longer to figure anything out than it’ll take you, and it’ll never come naturally, and that’s okay.

I’m still taking the lessons, but I’m practicing a ton at home with YouTube videos, an MDF sheet I bought, and actual clogging shoes with buck taps that I am NOT wearing to class, because with the taps on you can hear how out of sync I am. :grin: And I think I’ve managed to convince the instructor to quit s-l-o-w-i-n-g the music down in an attempt to get everybody down to my speed. Just let me flail; I’m not quitting!

Anyway, I learned to knit from a booklet, learned more complex techniques on this very website, and since I’m more comfortable being self-taught, I haven’t particularly wanted to take any classes. You’re probably better at focusing on the skill you’re learning instead of obsessing over avoiding making mistakes in public. I am not good at that. :weary:

If you can’t find a class that meets in person, develop your basic skills and then bring your project and questions to one of these meetings in Granada Hills:

Granada Hills is a couple hours (or more) from San Diego so probably not doable. May be something nearby though.

But close to Oak Park!

Nope. San Diego to Granada Hills is 145 miles per Google Maps. I don’t know about you, but that’s too far to drive for me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ty very much… I did find a club that meets at the library and I am going
to go and hopefully learn by watching. If not the you tube videos might
work also. Ty very much for your help…

Ty,I did find a club that meets at the library and I am going to go and
hopefully learn! Happy sewing. Ty again

I didn’t mean to volunteer you, Jan! I was just trying to find an active group in the OP’s region. :wink:

Oh I know! I’m just saying the place you posted is 145 miles from her. That’s really far! :slight_smile:

I’ll be honest…I was fortunate enough to have my sister’s mother in law teach me the very basics i.e… casting on, knit stitch, purl stitch… after that I was always on YouTube… it really is a wonderful resource and you can watch it over, and over, and over… Once you get the basics down, you can always attend knitting groups and someone is always kind and willing to help. I just have to say that I have NEVER come across a mean knitter or crocheter… I have met the kindest and most helpful people here, and on Ravelry, and at my local knitting group. I think we as crafters have a beautiful camaraderie, and sometimes I wonder if the sweetest people go into knitting/crocheting or whether they become kinder individuals as a result of knitting/crocheting ?

Oh, from her! That I didn’t know. Color me not so useful. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

:joy: It’s pretty far from me, too. But fortunately I know how to knit now. :slight_smile:

That’s sweet to know. Ty you all for your help.
Take care