Need help deciphering a mitten pattern

My first mitten pattern and I can’t figure it out. I am at the section where you put stitches aside for the thumb. This is sheep shop yarn company pattern #019. I have typed the words and punctuation exactly as they appear. I don’t think that this is correct but can’t find an errata. Can anyone translate this?

LEFT THUMB RIGHT THUMB
One needle 2: K1, K3 with 5" piece
One needle 3: K1, K3 with 5" of scrap yarn.
Slip 3 scrap yarn sts. Piece of scarp yarn. Slip 3
Back onto left needle and knit over scrap yarns sts.
Back onto left them. Continue in Stst until piece
needle and knit over them.
measures 3 1/4" from beginning of St.st. Continue
in Stst until piece section. Measures 3 1/4" from
beginning of St.st section.

If you copied and pasted, they must have been in a column, this is how it should read:

On needle 2: K1, K3 with 5" piece piece of scrap yarn.
Slip 3 Back onto left needle and knit over scrap yarns sts.
Continue in St st until piece measures 3 1/4" from beginning of St.st section."

For making the thumb k1 st, then take a piece of scrap yarn and knit 3 sts with it. Move those 3 sts back to the left needle and knit them again with your mitten yarn, then continue on to the other mitten and do the same. Knit both until they’re 3¼" from where you started stockinette st.

I typed the instructions exact as written. These mittens are knit one at a time. I keep reading it over and over and think that there is something wrong with the way it is written. Thank you for your help but what about needle 3. It seems that the pattern is asking me to do something with 6 stitches. This is a toddler mitten pattern at 4 sts per inch.

Also there are no columns in the pattern. I even hit the return so that it would show up exactly the way it looks in the pattern instructions.

This is a toddler pattern at 4 stitches per inch.

I have typed the instructions Exactly as written in the pattern down to the sentence structure, punctuation and paragraphs.

My first mitten pattern and I can’t figure it out. This is sheep shop yarn company pattern #019. I don’t think that this is correct but can’t find an errata. The mittens are knit one at a time on dpns. CO 16 sts and increased to 24 sts. I am at the section where you put stitches aside for the thumb. Can anyone translate this?

LEFT THUMB RIGHT THUMB
One needle 2: K1, K3 with 5" piece
One needle 3: K1, K3 with 5" of scrap yarn.
Slip 3 scrap yarn sts. Piece of scarp yarn. Slip 3
Back onto left needle and knit over scrap yarns sts.
Back onto left them. Continue in Stst until piece
needle and knit over them.
measures 3 1/4" from beginning of St.st. Continue
in Stst until piece section. Measures 3 1/4" from
beginning of St.st section.

You’re right-- there’s something very off in those instructions. “Back onto left them”? ? ? One Needle 2, One needle 3? ? ? Sounds like a LOT of typos. Are they the Two-Tone Toddler Mittens? Try writing to the designer, here: http://www.jessheep.etsy.com .

The pattern seems like it was printed in columns. The instructions for needle 2 and needle 3 are all run together, but what I posted in post #2 is correct for both mittens if you pick out the pieces. I was thinking that this may be both mittens knit at the same time on 2 needles, but it looks like these are on dpns, so ‘needle 2 and needle 3’ make sense. Th

There is one typo that I can see - “One needle 2 (3)” should be ON needle 2 (3). and it may be that you’re splitting the thumb up between 2 needles, so it’s the left and right parts of one thumb, not the thumbs for the right and left mitten. It’s also badly formatted, it should look like this (sorta, I had to put the dots in because the formatting doesn’t allow blank spaces or tabs, which may be why it didn’t come out right before):

LEFT THUMB … RIGHT THUMB
On needle 2: K1, K3 with 5" piece …On needle 3: K1, K3 with 5" Piece
of scrap yarn. …of scarp yarn.
Slip 3 sts Back onto left needle …Slip 3 Back onto left needle
and knit over scrap yarn sts …and knit over scrap yarn sts

Continue in Stst until piece …Continue in Stst until piece
measures 3 1/4" from beginning … Measures 3 1/4" from
of St.st. section… beginning of St.st section.

They are the two tone mittens. I have never knit gloves or mittens before and I can’t figure it out. I am a adv beginner and only go with easy patterns. I will try to contact the designer. Thank you so much. Tried to google her name but to no avail.

So does this mean that I am knitting 6 stitches for each thumb on to scrap yarn on needles 2 and 3 (3 stitches each)?
Gotta say that I have knit socks and thought this pattern looked easy until I got to this point.

Yes, it looks like you knit 6 sts for [I]each half of one thumb[/I] onto the scrap yarn. When you say it’s done with 2 colors, now the weird instructions make sense. You knit the sts on needle 2 with one color, and the sts on needle 3 with the other. The scrap yarn can be any color.

The cuff is one color the rest of the mitten is in the other color so the thumb color is not the problem. I think what you have posted makes sense. Now that I think about it it may be that the pattern is telling me to do this same thing for both the left mitten thumb and the right mitten thumb. The pattern is very poorly formatted at this point which for someone who has never knitted mittens seems to be the trickier part. By the way it did say “on needle” and not “one needle”, my bad. The rest is the pattern’s bad. I think you got me to where I can venture on.

I still think it’s the left and right side of 1 thumb, because 3 sts isn’t very much for a thumb. If the thumb is split on 2 needles that makes it 6 sts plus the k1 on needle three, which is just about right.

Next time, try this pattern, it’s fantastic: http://www.freevintageknitting.com/mittens/615-mittens-pattern.html
Just note that the gauge is 6 sts per inch, so you would need to use DK or sport weight yarn instead of worsted. But it really works and there aren’t any weird directions!

Oh, my! That’s my all-time favorite mitten pattern. I bought the first pattern book for 35 cents back in the late 1950’s and had to replace it a couple of times because I kept losing the center page the above pattern is on. When I bought the last book I made several photocopies and keep the pattern in different knitting pattern binders so I can always find it when I need it.

You don’t have to use DK or sport weight…I’ve always used a worsted weight and even added a strand of sock yarn to make the mittens warmer and the fit is just fine. I do go down to a #3 needle, though.

JudyD

I actually usually use worsted for those mittens as well, but then adjust the number of sts for it, since getting 6 sts per inch in worsted makes for a great, dense fabric, but makes my hands hurt! But for someone just starting out with making mittens, it’s probably easier to follow their directions exactly. But OMG, Judy D, whatever were they thinking by letting this go out of print?:slight_smile: Isn’t it the best?!

<<But OMG, Judy D, whatever were they thinking by letting this go out of print?:slight_smile: Isn’t it the best?!>>

Sandy:

I never realized I was so “vintage”. Here’s the replacement book…note the 65 cents for this one! Copyright is 1953.

(1) Photo of cover, (2) lower right corner is photo of mittens used by website, and (3) that elusive middle page that got lost a couple of times. It’s still attached by staples but the cover needs stapling.

JudyD

Through a poster’s suggestion I was able to contact the designer. Here is how the pattern should read:

thumbs are as follows:LEFT THUMB- needle1:k to end. needle2:k1,
knit next 3sts(4sts) with a piece of scrap yarn. slip those 3sts (4sts)of scrap
yarn onto the left needle and k across them with the working yarn, k2 (k1).
needle3: k to end. needle4: k to end. **if you have done this correctly, you
will have 24sts (28sts) total for your thumb. Continue in stst until piece
measures 3 1/4" (4 1/4") from beginning of stst section.
RIGHT THUMB-- needle1: k to end. needle2: k to end. needle3: k1, knit next
3sts(4sts) with a piece of scrap yarn. slip those 3sts (4sts)of scrap yarn onto
the left needle and k across them with the working yarn, k2 (k1). needle4: k to
end. **if you have done this correctly you will have 24sts (28sts) total for
your thumb. Continue in stst until piece measures 3 1/4" (4 1/4") from
beginning of stst section.

This seems to make sense. If I knit the 3 stitches twice that will give me 6 for the thumb?

Yes, when you knit the sts with the scrap yarn, then reknit them with the mitten yarn, you’re creating an extra row with the scrap yarn, but there’s only 3 sts showing knit on the scrap yarn. When you take it out later to work on the thumb, you’ll have the original 3 sts plus the 3 sts from those you knit [I]above[/I] the scrap yarn. So that will give you 6 sts and you’re probably to pick up a couple extra on either side of the 3.

I’m glad she posted the instructions in detail, her shortcut was very confusing.

I am a little intimidated with this by now. I think that I will set it aside on my trip to NYC and try to knit something different. That vintage pattern may work but there are too many options. For my first try at mittens I need a basic toddler (>2years old) mitten pattern. Something plain, simple and knit in the round.

I have been knitting for forever and have made probably hundreds of pairs of mittens over the years and have never encountered directions quite like the ones you have for the those Two-Toned Toddlers ones. It IS intimidating and confusing-- it’s not you!

I would give those vintage ones a try. Just print it out and circle or highlight the numbers down through in the very first column, the ones for 2 -4 year olds. The first half of the directions is for 4 needle (in the round) mittens, and if you scroll down, the second half is for 2 needle (flat) ones. I think you’ll be much happier and please with the results!

Yes, other patterns use a similar method for setting up the thumb sts, but this is a bit confusing. Try a basic pattrn first.