Need help binding off

I am doing my first sweater and have not been knitting more than a couple months and could use some help binding of the back of the sweater where shoulder and neck shaping occurs.

The pattern says to bind off 3 sts at beg of next 2 rows, 3 sts at beg of next 2 rows, AT SAME TIME, bind of center 10 sts for neck and working both sides at once, bind off 6 sts from each neck edge once.

How do I accomplish this? I am binding off in the center for the neck and then I can’t get to the other side to bind off the other stitches at the shoulder without a big piece of yarn hanging in the middle. What does it mean to work both sides at once? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Heather

When you bind off at the edges, always do it at the beginning of a row, or you end up with your yarn in the wrong place.

So when you bind off for the first two times, it’s at the beginning of the next two rows.

Then you bind off 3 at the beginning of the next row, work to the center stitches that you need to bind off and bind them off, work to the end of the row. When you turn the work, you’ll bind off the first three stitches and work to the end of that shoulder.

Now your two shoulders are separate. You’ll need to attach a new ball to the shoulder that you did before the bind off of the center stitches.

Then bind off the neck stitches when you are at that edge of the side you’re working on and the shoulder stitches when you’re starting at the shoulder edge.

When they say work both side at once, it means to work each row on each side rather than complete one shoulder at a time.

I hope this makes some sort of sense. It’s easier to see what to do when you have it in front of you.

Ingrid,

Bless you for that advice! Sorry it took me so long to post back. I wanted to make sure I tried what you said to do first. It turned out perfectly-exactly as the picture diagram shows. That is not at all what I was going to attempt to do on my own; I’m sure my version would have turned out quite scary. Thanks so much!

Heather

Jesus bless you:)

I’m glad it made sense!