Need help adjusting pattern to another gauge

This may be a very long winded post but I want to adjust this pattern to a different gauge. I think I have it figured out but I’m not sure if I’m going about it the right way.

The gauge for the pattern is 19 stitches and 16 rows to 4" on a size 10 needle. The gauge I’m getting is 14 sts and 18 rows to 4". (I don’t think I want to go down in needle size for this – I like the drape of the yarn that I’m getting on a size 10 needle and I’d have to drop down many sizes to get 19 stitches to 4" with this and I think it would be too stiff.

What I did so far was to figure out how many stitches to cast on – the pattern calls for a CO of 58 stitches which would be 12 1/4 inches so I figured out that I would cast on 43 stitches to get the same width.

Then I have to knit 6 rows which gives me 1 1/2" of knitting so I figure I knit about 7 rows.

Then I plan on following the decrease of 1 stitch on either side of the sleeve – then they decrease on the 6th row once and I think I need to decrease on the 7th row to match the row gauge.

Then I increase following the same every 7th row 9 times.

When I get to the increase for the body for the medium the pattern calls for a cast on of 29 stitches for the next 2 rows and with my gauge I would cast on 14 stitches to get the same 6 inches on either side.

When I get to the neck shaping I need to mark the middle stitch and then place half the stitches on a holder and work those separately, then work the other side.

Then I make the twist for the center ans work my way back in reverse of the first sleeve.

So what do you think?

Will it work?

Thanks if you have gotten this far!

Susan

I think it should work out okay, though you may need 1 st more or less for the cast on, unless you know how to do a 1x1 rib on an odd number of sts.

Thanks! I was focusing so hard on getting the right amount of stitches that I forgot the pattern is all in rib!

Best,
Susan

PS – you are one of my knitting heroes. I love reading your replies to people’s posts!

Thanks, Susan. All it takes is a few years of experience…