Need dec. help with 2x2 rib hat

Am knitting a simple hat in a 2x2 rib. Have a 1x1 pattern but the dec.s aren’t working out. Sport weight yarn, 100 sts. across, figure to begin dec. after 5 or 6 ins. What would be my best dec. method? That’s all I need. Checked knit pattern central but can’t find a 2x2 pattern. This is so simple I don’t know what my problem is. Used to doing plain old stockinette stitch hats. Appreciate any tips. Jean

I don’t like the tops on most ribbed hats because they lose the pattern. I really like this one though and it looks great!

This one is also nice.
http://www.figandplum.com/archives/000021.html

Thanks Jan! These are super examples. The messy look of my dec.s was exactly the problem. Will certainly make use of these patterns.
Jean

Thanks Jan. I was looking for a nice ribbed hat pattern and this one is great. I am having some trouble understanding part of the decrease though. The patterns says:

Crown Decreases:

[COLOR=“Red”]Place markers in three evenly spaced K2 ridges (since you have 120 stitches, there will be 30 K2 ridges, your markers should be every 10th ridge)[/COLOR]

I know it’s probably very simple, but for some reason I can’t picture this. I will have 30 K2 ridges, so when it say’s “markers should be every 10th ridge”, am I counting the 2 knits as one ridge?

Yes, the k2 ‘ridges’ will be raised a little above the p2 ‘dips’. Basically, you’re placing a marker every 40 sts.

Squeakee, If you look at the comments below Claire’s hat pattern you’ll find a very good explanation of the placement markers for crown decreases. She explains at length how to space the markers. The trick is to put the markers between 2 knits. Check it out and you’ll see.