Need clarification for knitting pattern

I am a new knitter and I have finally finished my scarf. Now I am trying to make a matching hat and I’m stuck.

First, I cast on 37 sts. (not a problem)
Second I garter knit every row until my work from beg measures 4 ins. (No problem)
Then, I knit and inc 6 sts evenly across the row (no problem)
But, the pattern stated for me to do it on the [B]wrong side[/B] and then cont in stocking st until work from my marked row measures 6 ins ending in the [B]right side. [/B]

Question: How can you distinguish the difference between the [B]wrong side[/B] and the [B]right side[/B] of your work .

By the way I’m using the Patons Cha Cha yarn.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Fuzzylock
Addicted to Knitting:knitting:

Might depend on the type of CO you did. Certain COs create a RS or WS appearance. Sometimes it’s just a matter of personal preference with garter. Decide on a side, mark it (with pin or similar). (With other stitch patterns there’s a definitive RS vs WS.)

cam

I am a new knitter and I have finally finished my scarf. Now I am trying to make a matching hat and I’m stuck.

First, I cast on 37 sts. (not a problem)
Second I garter knit every row until my work from beg measures 4 ins. (No problem)
Then, I knit and inc 6 sts evenly across the row (no problem)
But, the pattern stated for me to do it on the [B]wrong side[/B] and then cont in stocking st until work from my marked row measures 6 ins ending in the [B]right side. [/B]

Question: How can you distinguish the difference between the [B]wrong side[/B] and the [B]right side[/B] of your work .

By the way I’m using the Patons Cha Cha yarn.

Thanks for all your help!!!

Fuzzylock
Addicted to Knitting:knitting:

Well just know that when your doing your row in inc sts that is your wrong side, maybe mark it with a piece of colored yarn & go from there.
Good Luck!

If you’re working in stockinette, the right side would be the side with the V’s and the wrong side would show the purl bumps.

RS in where you knit, WS is where you purl in stockinette.

Oops, but it’s in garter stitch, which looks the same on both sides.

I don’t like the terms right and wrong side; it’s too easy to confuse with right and left, which is another thing altogetheri. I’d rather call them the public side (which people see when the hat is worn) and the private side (which goes next to your head). Or inside and outside.

If you used a long-tail cast-on, the leftover tail will hang off the right edge of the cast-on when the public side is facing you. Put a safety pin on that side so you won’t forget.

The pattern said to continue in stockinette, no?

Yes!! I am suppose to cont in stockinette until the work measures 6 inches.

So: do your increase. That is your last garter row. The next row you knit (right side), the following row you purl (wrong side). Alternate knit rows with purl rows for six inches; the last row you work will be a right side (knit) row.

Does that make sense?