Neckline stitches?

Hello knitters :slight_smile:
i hope someone can help me with this: so im trying to knit a sweater, but i want to know how many stitches should i cast off for the neck; my total number of stitches is 78 stitches so how do i calculate that?
thank you in advance :slight_smile:

It should say in your pattern. Itโ€™s pretty hard to say just based on your stitch count because it makes a difference in what kind of neckline, what size, etc.

What is the name of it and if you can provide a link it would help a lot.

Thanks alot for responding :slight_smile:

iโ€™m not really following a specific pattern for that. But the neckline i will be making is a crew neck and i want to use a 2x2 ribbing. i once watched a video where they divided the stitches equally so that they had 10 stitches before and after the neckline cast off which was 12 stitches, but of course the stitch count was different.

i understand that this might not be enough information but its really starting to get frustrating for me :persevere:

Did you make a swatch? You could figure out your gauge and the size youโ€™d need to fit over your head. Iโ€™m not good at math, but I think thatโ€™s how things are done for designing your own pattern.

You could also search for same gauge, crew neck sweater patterns on Ravelry and see what they do at the neck.
You could also see what proportion of total sts the video used (10 and 12 sts out of how many total sts) and keep that same proportion for your total of 78 sts.

i will try that :+1:
thank you both very much :slight_smile: