Neck shaping

I’m currently knitting this pullover for my nephew and came upon a part that has me unsure of myself.

Shape Neck K 17 (19, 21, 22, 24, 26), turn, leave rem 25 (27, 29, 32, 36, 38) sts on holder. Work on these 17 (19, 21, 22, 24, 26) sts only, as follows:

Next Row Purl. Work 3 rows, dec 1 st a neck edge in every row – 14 (16, 18, 19, 21, 23) sts. [COLOR=“Red”]Do I work only three rows or only three rows AFTER I purl the first row, which would be a total of 4?[/COLOR] Cont even until Front measures 11½ (13½, 15½, 17, 19, 21) inches, ending with a WS row. Bind off loosely. With RS facing, rejoin yarn to rem 25 (27, 29, 32, 36, 38) sts, bind off 8 (8, 8, 10, 12, 12) sts and k to end – 17 (19, 21, 22, 24, 26) sts. Reverse for right neck. [COLOR=“Red”]What does it mean by rejoin yarn? Just have a tail of yarn and start knitting normally? And what does “Reverse for right neck” mean?[/COLOR]

Thanks in advance. I really need to get this done because my nephew’s birthday party is next Sunday!

On the first question I think it means 3 rows after the purl row, so 4 rows total.

Rejoin just means take a ball of yarn and start knitting with it.

Reverse the right neck means to do the opposite of what you did on the right neck shaping which they gave you in detail. For instance if you were to. I don’t have time to go into detail, but think about what you would need to do to get the same shaping on the other side of the neck as you already have on the one you’ve done. It may be one row off of absolutely mirror image.

And when you reverse shaping for the other side, your decreases may be on a WS row.

I think I get it now. Do you think it would be possible for me to just work both sides at once instead of working them separately? That’s the only way I’ve made pullovers before.

So maybe

Knit (in my case 21) stitches, bind off the middle 8 stitches, join new ball, knit to end. Purl to end. Work 3 rows, dec 1 st at neck edge every row - 18 sts. Cont even until Front measures 15 1/2 inches, ending with a WS row and BO loosely.

Do you think this would work?

Sure, you can do both shoulders at the same time.