Neck Shaping/Understanding Pattern

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/70038.html

This is the part I’m having trouble with:
Shape Neck
Next Row (WS): Bind off 5 (5, 6, 6) stitches for neck, finish row. Continue in St st, dec 1 st at neck edge every row 2 (3, 3, 4) times – 9 (10, 11, 12) sts. When piece measures same length as Back, bind off.

I’ve done the 5 bind offs and finished the row, but I am absolutely lost as to what the rest means.

Continue in St st (got that)
Decrease 1 at neck edge (the last two stitches for that row??)
every row 3 (I’m doing the second size) times (so that means decrease the last six stitches if I’m going to k2tog?)
10 stitches - is this how many I’ll have left??

But then it says bind off when this front piece is the same size as the back…so I keep St st with those last 10??

I could sure use some guidance :slight_smile: Thanks so much in advance!

Continue in St st (got that)

Decrease 1 at neck edge (the last two stitches for that row??) [B]Yes, and no. on the first decrease, it will be your last sts, but when you turn, it will be the first[/B]

every row 3 (I’m doing the second size) times (so that means decrease the last six stitches if I’m going to k2tog?) [B]That’s essentially right (see above about where to decrease). But remember you’re only decreasing by 3, no matter if 6 sts (or more) are involved[/B]

10 stitches - is this how many I’ll have left?? [B]Yes, that’s the st count that should be left[/B]

But then it says bind off when this front piece is the same size as the back…so I keep St st with those last 10?? [B]That’s what I understand from the pattern[/B]

Thanks Wenda - I’m glad you mentioned the turn. I might have been so focused on the dec st that I would have not even thought about the turn :slight_smile: