Neck of baby sweater confusion

Hi there,

I’m stuck on the instructions for a baby sweater. I finished the back. After 9 inches of the front it said to knit 22 stiches then bind off 8. Then it says knit 22 (new ball of by yarn) and work each side of the neck separately. Since this is a round needle do I just let the first side hang there and what happens to the last stich of the bind off? After the second 22 it says only working the bind off on the neck ede, bind off 4 stiches one time, 3 stitches one time and two stitches one time. Continue until piece measure the same as the back and bind off. I have no clue.

Are you knitting in the round? Do you have a link to the pattern?

From what you’re saying I’d say you can leave it on the cable if it won’t bother you. If it does you can put it on waste yarn and continue. I usually use waste yarn.

If I only work on one side at a time, I leave the other stitches on the cord. Some patterns may have you work both at the same time, so you would definitely leave the sts on the needle in that case.

It is a round needle and I copied exactly what it says in my question, I still don’t understand what they mean

You’re going to divide the sts at the neck and work on one shoulder at a time. This is roughly what it will look like:

|-------|____|-------|
…22 sts BO 8… 22sts

So you start the row by knitting 22 stiches, then bind off 8. Take a new yarn end and knit 22 sts. Then work on that section by itself with the new yarn, finish and go back to the other shoulder and the yarn you left dangling there.

After 9 inches of the front it said to knit 22 stiches then bind off 8. Then it says knit 22 (new ball of by yarn) and work each side of the neck separately. Since this is a round needle do I just let the first side hang there and what happens to the last stich of the bind off? After the second 22 it says only working the bind off on the neck ede, bind off 4 stiches one time, 3 stitches one time and two stitches one time. Continue until piece measure the same as the back and bind off.

I would knit the 22 and then begin the bind off. So after you knit the 22, knit 2 more and lift the next to last one over the last one for the bind off. K1, lift one, etc. until you have bound off 8. Then I would just keep knitting till I got to the end of the row. Count to make sure you have 22 on each side. Then I would go ahead and finish the side with the yarn attached (see below) and then go back and join a new yarn to the other side and finish it.

The last stitch of the bind off in the middle ends up as the first stitch on the left of the gap. It is not a problem at all.

To continue after you come to left edge of the row where you did the 8 st BO, turn and purl back to the gap. Turn and bind off 4 at the beginning of that next row, knit acoss, turn and purl back. Turn and bind off 3, knit across. Turn and purl back. Turn and bind off 2, knit across. Turn to purl. Now just keep working back and forth until that side is just as long as the back is from the cast on to the top of the shoulder. BO

Now go back to the other side of the gap, right at the neck edge. Beginning with the purl side facing you, start using a new yarn, bind off 4 stitches purlwise, purl across. Turn, knit back. Turn, bind off 3, purl across. Turn, knit back. Turn, bind off 2 purl across. Turn ready to knit and work until that side is the same length as the other side of the gap. BO

You can leave the side you are not working on on the circular needle if you want, but I like to put them on a holder so they are out of my way.

Suzeeq, I love the way you drew the shoulder and neck shaping. I need to remember how you did that so I can use it. I’m always wanting to draw the neck to show someone what is happening. You’re a genius.

It’s not totally accurate, have to do the best I can with the keyboard, but it works to give a vague idea what the top should look like.

I actually understand. The picture is great. Now, what if I have 24 on the left side? I knit 22 and BO the 8. Somehow I have 24 on the other side. HELP

When you knit the 22, you would then knit 2 more and then begin doing the first lifting manuever for the BO. Make sure you have 22 and then the gap. Then carefully count 8 that you lift over and get rid of. You should have 22 left according to the pattern. 22+22+8=52 Did you start with 52 stitches? If you didn’t you won’t end up with the right numbers when you are finished.

I now understand it all. My only problem is that I have 2 extra stiches on the left side after the BO. How do I et bqck to 22 which is the correct nukber?

One more dumb question. I have 24 on the left side after the first BO I should have 22. What should I do???

Do you know why you have 24? Did you start out with 52 or some other number? Are you absolutely certain that you bound off 8 in the center? I suspect one of those has to be the reason. You may think you bound off 8 and really did only 6.

I’d suggest going back to the center gap and bind off 2 more so that you have 22 so the shoulders will be the same. You can tink back. When you have done the extra bind offs and knitted a couple more stitches, stop and count. Are you going to have 22 on that side now counting all the stitches on the side of the gap you are working on (some will be on the left needle and some on the right needle at that point). If you have a total of 22 continue on across, if not tink back again and add or subtact another BO stitch to get you to what you think will make 22, go a few stitches past that point and stop and check your work again.

When you finally end up with 22 on each side, lay the work out flat on a table and look at it. Are the bind off stitches centered on the work? If so you are good to go, if not and you think it will look really strange if you continue, you will need to go back and find out what you did wrong earlier. You probably didn’t have the right number of stitches when you began this row and need to start with the right number.

Good luck.

ok Now my number is correct but the last stitch of the bind off makes 23 if it counts/ What should I do with it?

The last loop of the BO counts as the first stich of the remaining 22, so it sounds like you still have 24 sts.

Maybe you had 54 sts to start with?