Neck and shoulder shaping

Hi, i have a question on neck and shaping.

The instructions are given as follows :
Work 25 (26, 27, 28, 28, 28, 28) sts for shoulder, join a second ball of yarn, BO center 32 (36, 36, 38, 40, 40, 42) sts for back neck, work to end.-25 (26, 27, 28, 28, 28, 28) sts each side.

Working both sides at once with separate balls of yarn, BO 5 (5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6) sts. at beg of next 6 rows, and 6 (7, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6 ) sts at beg of next 2 rows. AND AT THE SAME TIME, BO 2 sts at each neck edge 2 times.

My question
I ended my armhole shaping with a RS knit stitch.

1. This mean that I will start the neck shoulder shaping on WS purl stitch. Is that correct? Or must it start on RS. If RS, then I have to end armhole with a WS purl stitch.

2. From above 2 paragraph instructions, I am to do the 1st para, ie binding off the centre 32 stitches. After getting the 2 shoulders part, then i do the 2nd para bind off ie BO 5 stitches at the beginning of next 6 rows.

3. I am confused by what is next 6 rows. Is it saying beginning of RS BO 5 and knit to end, turn and BO 5 at the beginning WS BO 5? Or BO only at arm side, not at the neck edge. If so, there shd be 12 rows to this 2nd para.

Help! Thanks!

You don’t have to begin the shoulder shaping with a RS row although it always seems a good way to do it to me.
Yes, work the first paragraph with the center bind off. Then start the shoulder and neck shaping as given in paragraph 2.

Think of your row as in 2 sections. The initial bind offs of 5sts are at the armhole edges. So bind off 5sts, work to the neck edge, drop yarn strand 1, pick up yarn strand 2, BO 2sts at the neck edge, work to the end of the row. Turn and BO 5sts at the shoulder, work to the neck edge, drop the yarn, pick up yarn strand 1, BO 2sts, work to the end.

Repeat this sequence, binding off 5 sts at the armhole edges and 2 at the neck edges once more then continue with the armhole bind offs only as written. It’ll be 3 bind offs of 5sts and 1 bind off of 6sts on each shoulder. There are 2 bind offs of 2sts at each neck edge.

What is the name of your pattern?

Thanks for the clarification! Very helpful. The pattern is Amanda Lilley’s casual cardigan.

Very pretty cardigan!