Nana's Revesible Cabled Hoodie Scarf and Plain Hoodie Scarf

Here is what I had in my note pad . It’s not cleaned up in a nice pattern form but I think it will work for you . I knitted a couple of these scarfs up . One is knitted without the cable ( all garter stitches but with a hood. Basically for a hoodie ,what I did was the same as the yellow scarf which is the pattern here. Only I knitter it in two pieces . I knitted both sides at the same time starting at the bottom of the scarf and working up to were the scarf reached my neck . Then I increased my stitches to the depth I needed for my hood over the next couple of rows at the very start of the neck line and when I had the depth I wanted I just knitted both sides up till both sides reached the top of my head and then I seamed the two pieces together at the back of the head and the top.

This is the first time I have ever done this so I pray it makes sense . I’ve never written a pattern before sorry.

For Nana’s Reversible Cable Hoodie Scarf and plain no cable hoodie scarf
needle size US 13-9.0 mm

Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Solids
I used the same yarn and needles for all three

4 skeins = 424.0 yards (387.7 meters), 680 grams

This is for a plain all garter st hoodie scarf
Two Skeins per side

I knitted this in two panels , a left and a right (Mirrored of each other). Starting at the lower end of one side knitting up to the top of the head adding my increases as needed .

First panel , I CO 20 sts ,knit to my collar bone / neck area and started an increase on new row at this point . K 2 , k1 f&b aka kfb repeat to end of row (26 sts total) You may not want your hood as deep as mine so ,increase to what you would like the depth of your hood to be. I wanted to be able to roll this one back over the ears for added warmth so I increased to 36 sts total. After I had the depth I wanted I knitted to the middle top area of my head and then Place sts on waste yarn .Then I repeated the same for my next panel. I used a Kitchener Stitch Grafting of Garter Stitch Knitting at the top of the hood and seamed down the back of the hood.

For the Hoodie scarf
I CO 20 sts, work in garter for 9 rows then start a pattern of knit 6, then knit 8 sts (these 8 sts are knitted as k1,p1,k1,p1,k1,p1,k1,p1 [1 by 1 ribbing] that is how you get the reversible cable , next knit the last 6 sts.

For the yellow Scarf,

Nana’s Reversible Cabled Scarf

Cast on using the Cable Cast On 26 sts ( I used a cable cast on and a cable cast off)

link for Cable Cast On

Cable Cast Off link

I didn’t use markers but you can , place markers after 9sts and again after 8 sts.

[Note]

The Reversible Cable is done by working a k1,p1, for a total of 8 sts

( k9, [ k1,p1 ,k1,p1,k1,p1,k1,p1] ,k9) this completes a row.

[end note]

Begin:

Row 1-9 :Knit

Row 10: k9, [ k1,p1 ,k1,p1,k1,p1,k1,p1 ] ,k9.
(You are setting up the start of your cable on Row 10 '(cable cross over)

*Repeat Row 10 for 6 more rows.

**Next: Cable Cross Over Row

k9, remove the next 4 ribbed stitches to a cable needle ,hold to the front, next, k1,p1,k1,p1,now place the 4 stitches from the cable holder back onto the left needle and k1,p1,k1,p1 (you have now done your first cable cross over) k9 .

Next: you will now repeat from * to ** , repeat these to rows until you have your scarf close to the length you want .You want both ends of the cables to end in the same way so once you find the length you want omit the last Cable Cross Over and then return to Rows 1-9 . ending with a Cable Bind Off

Thanks so much, Nana for giving us the directions for these great scarves.

1 Like

Nice pattern. As a first pattern description and with photos, you did a great job of describing how it is made and how the outcome looks.

I’m bookmarking this one. Looks like a must-knit. I love scarves and hats but have the propensity of wearing one without the other then when it gets windy, I need the other. This will simplify my “where did I put it last” routine. Will need one for the trunk of the car and the other for the house.

1 Like