My Tip

I am not taking any chances on forgetting what needle I am working on or from. I color coated my needle protectors. Red for left needle green for right needle. Some day I may need to stop in the middle of a row. Right now they are helping me with my circular needless

2 Likes

That sounds like a good idea but wouldn’t you know the direction by which needle your working yarn is on?

Possibly but I am such a newbie and if I left off in the middle row and going from knit to purl, I know I would get confused which needle to work from. I take no chances. I would rather color code to prevent mistakes than make a complete rookie move. I have only knitted 2 items working on the 3rd. Once I get better and more aquainted, I will be moving up to the big girl protectors :grinning: for now I need my training wheels. LoL.

3 Likes

I hear you loud and clear, therefore in the meantime i think they are great to use. Let us see it when its done. :+1:

1 Like

Whatever works for you is what’s important. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Exactly! Everyone has things that work bedt for them. Happy knitting!

1 Like

Clever idea.

1 Like

I totally understand, when I started out I ended up working back the wrong way after putting my work down and had to rip it out. I then panicked because I couldn’t get the stitches back on my needles. Thank God I finally learned how to tink back when I mess up lol

1 Like

. I’ve certainly picked up a project in the middle of a row (no matter how many times I tell myself not to stop in the middle) and knit in the wrong direction.
It’s also a very good tip when knitting two sleeves or two cardigan fronts at the same time. If you stop between the two, it can be very difficult to tell which way to restart. (I tie a slip knot on the yarn to be used.) Your color coded protectors would do the job.

2 Likes

It’s the simplest mishaps that cause great frustration. I try to avoid as many as I can. The more frogging I do, the less knitting / Crocheting I get done.

Have a great knitting day

2 Likes

Knitting2relax i could not agree more with your statement “more frogging less knitting”

1 Like

I won’t admit how often I pick up my work and knit the wrong direction. Logically a well fed frog would be less demanding but it seems that isn’t so. :smirk:

1 Like

I have a question. I have a pattern where you bind off in the middle then it says to rejoin the yarn at the shoulders on the wrong side which I believe is the purl side, how do you do this?

I have no idea. Hope someone else can reply andvbe of help.

Usually you would work some part say a shoulder until bind off then cut the yarn leaving a tail to weave in. To rejoin a new end of yarn, hold the yarn tail along side the left needle and just start knitting (or purling). The first stitch or two may be a little loose but you can always snug it up by pulling the yarn tail.
Which pattern are you using?

1 Like

I don’t have one right now but I was looking at one the other day and as I was reading it the instructions were to bind off 10 center stiches and then to rejoin the yarn on each shoulder on the wrong side. I know how to do it on the knit side but was stumped on how to do it on the purl side.

That sounds like what I do with socks. I knit both at the same time on separated magic loops. I have 2 hanging row counters. One is blue and the other is red. I use red for the right sock and blue for the left. I had to do that when I knitted a pair that had different charts for the left and right socks. It was the only way to keep them identifiable.

So…what works for you is a good thing. And if it helps someone else, even better.

3 Likes

Great idea