My So-Called Scarf, knitting terms help?

I’m following the following pattern for a chain-edge scarf:
RS: k1, sl1, wyf, k1, sl1, k1, psso (but before dropping the slipped stitch from the left needle, knit into the back of it)repeat until edge, sl1, wyf, k1
WS: sl1, wyf, k1, p2tog (do not slip stitces off needle, purl the first stitch again, slip both stitches off needle), repeat until edge, k1, sl1, wyf.

brace yourselves, I’ve got a plethora of questions (ah, how I wish I had an authoritative knitting figure at my fingertips who could just showme this stuff):wall:

1: I know that WYF stands for work yarn in front, but what is that exactly? I can’t find any explanation online. Is it a stitch? A placement of the yarn?

2: for the PSSO, are you just taking the slipped stitch and pulling it around the knitted stitch, and then proceeding to knit it like a regular stitch?

3: Will there ever be a need to do any wonky tricks not included in that patter? (like, when knitting seed stitch, no pattern tells you to pull the yarn to the front after a knit and before a purl)

4:I’m sure plenty of you have tried this stitch before, any tips/tricks/words of wisdom?

if you can shed light on even half a question, I would be more than a million times overly greatful. thank you in advance!

I have made a few of the My So Called Scarves, and they don’t look good with a selvedge. It kind of sticks out from the edge a bit. I tried one with it and it just didn’t look right.

I’d just stick to the pattern.

One trick I did read about and have used is on the knitted side.

Row 1: K1, sl1 (as if you are going to knit) yo (put the yarn to the front and over the top of the right needle) then lift the slipped stitch up over the knit stitch and the yo and off the needle as if you are binding off.

The YO is the trick I’ve used, rather than knit into the slipped stitch before you pass it over. It produces the exact same result, but is just easier.

As far as this goes, i’ve always interpretted this as ‘with yarn in front’ or ‘with yarn forward’… which (i think unless i’ve been doing this wrong) just means to bring your yarn to the front of your work before you work the next stitch, as if you were going to purl.

I don’t do the chain edge, but just start in k1, *sl 1, k1, yo, psso - repeat. The edges come out fine, the WS row makes a kind of crossed stitch that tightens up the edges.

sue

Thankya all oh so very much!

I found a recommendation online that edited the pattern for the chain edge, actually, so I’ll go search for a regular pattern in that case =D

I appreciate all your wisdom! I’ve never been much of a pattern person, preferring to think up my own path. Which worked out just well for hats, scarves, and armsocks with only cabling or ribbing or seed stitch.

All of your replies made the process to come that much easier. Thanks bunches and bushels! :cheering: :happydance:

The original pattern is here.

sue

Row 1: K1, sl1 (as if you are going to knit) yo (put the yarn to the front and over the top of the right needle) then lift the slipped stitch up over the knit stitch and the yo and off the needle as if you are binding off.

Ingrid, am I reading your trick wrong or is it missing another k1 after sl1?
:shrug:

Thanks!

:oops: Yes, it’s k1, sl, k1 yo, psso. . .

Sorry if there was any confusion!

Thanks Ingrid! I thought so…my confidence in reading patterns is slowly growing! :happydance: