My pattern isn't adding up

Hi there,

I’m having trouble with a pattern I’m doing. It’s a Bernat Butterfly baby Blanket. I have to say, the instructions are confusing to begin with and I see there was already someone questioning the first few rows.

However, I’m having trouble with Row 12. It says each row is worked over 31 sts but I don’t see how these add up to 31 …

P6, PB1, P15, PFB, P6

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks!

*** Edit ***
Oh my gosh, I’m such a numpty, I just realized that this is the site where I found the corrections for the problem row 3:
http://forum.knittinghelp.com/t/help-deciphering-blanket-pattern?t=86210

Hopefully someone can help me figure out row 12 :slight_smile:

Welcome!
Well, i agree, i don’t see any way that the row adds up to 31. Can you quote rows10 and11 for us?
I didn’t see any errata online but you might try emailing Bernat or Yarnspirations. There are some completed blankets on Ravelry but no helpful notes.

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

Here are rows 10 and 11:

[B]Row 10[/B]

Purl

[B]Row 11[/B]

K4

K2, K2tog, yfwd, K1, K2tog, (yfwd) twice, Sl1, K1, psso, K2,
(yfwd, Sl1, K1, psso, K2tog, yfwd, K1) twice
K1, K2tog, (yfwd) twice, Sl1, K1, psso,
K1, yfwd, Sl1, K1, psso, K2
K7
** repeat 3 times

K2, K2tog, yfwd, K1, K2tog, (yfwd) twice, Sl1, K1, psso, K2,
(yfwd, Sl1, K1, psso, K2tog, yfwd, K1) twice
K1, K2tog, (yfwd) twice, Sl1, K1, psso,
K1, yfwd, Sl1, K1, psso, K2
K4

OK, I tried it and it looks like row 12 should be:
P6, PB1, [B]P17[/B], [B]PB1[/B], P6

Put in a lifeline at row 10 or 11, whichever you have on the needle now. See if this works well with the butterfly motif on the following rows. The first project on Ravelry has a good close-up of this.
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/amax1268/butterfly-blanket

Sounds like they really messed up the directions for that row. I’ll give your suggestions a try.

One question, what’s a lifeline?

Ah, a lifeline is a lifesaver if you ever have to rip out rows, especially in lace.
Here’s a video:

Oh that is cool! Didn’t know about that. Could’ve used that when I was working on another afghan … I spent more time knitting backwards than forwards!

Thank you so much for your help!

Did the solution that was given for line 12 work? This pattern is driving me crazy!!

Yes, this pattern is quite annoying and the instructions not very clear (I’m doing another pattern from this same book and the instructions were done poorly with that one as well).

I think there are a few ways to correct Row 12 as long as it is symmetrical, which Mac had suggested. I had looked on another place too and this is what my row 12 ended up being:

P4

** P6, [B]PFB[/B], P15, [B]PFB[/B], P6, P7 *** repeat 3 times

P6, PFB, P15, PDF, P6, P4

I ended up changing the PB1 to a PFB instead so that I didn’t change the number of stitches in between (15). I think it seems to be working (see photo).