My first sweater - Need help with the sleeves.

Hi there, I’m making my first men’s sweater and I’m having troubles with the sleeves portion of the pattern. attached is the URL to the pattern.

With smaller needles, cast on 43 (49-49-51-51) sts.

Rep from *** to *** as given for Back.

Change to larger needles and proceed in stocking st inc 1 st each end of needle on next and following 4th rows to 73 (77-93-97-101) sts, then every 6th row to 81 (85- 95-99-103) sts.

Cont even until work from beg measures 17½ (18-18½-18½-19) ins [44.5 (45.5-47-47-48) cm], ending with a purl row. Cast off.

My question is, I’ve casted on 49 (because I’m doing the large size). I was just wondering what does it mean about "proceed in stocking st inc 1 st each end of needle on next and following 4th rows to 73 (93) sts, then every 6th row to 81 (95)

1. Do I increase at the beginning or at the end or both?
  2. Do I Increase every first, fourth and 6th row?
    Thanks advanced for anyones help!!!

Welcome to KH!

1. Increase at both ends. This’ll keep the sleeve symmetrical.
  2. If you call the next row, row 1 then you’ll increase on rows 1, 5,9,13,17,21,25,29,etc until you have the given number of sts. Once you get to that number (it’ll be something like row 85), increase every 6th row. That’ll be row 91.

Hi Salmonmac, thank you so much for responding.

I was just wondering, if I increase at both ends then at row 9 5 will I be at 75, and at row 9 I should be at 77, row 13 I should be at 79?

EDIT For the large size it’ll be 93 sts at the end, so row 1 will be 51, row 5 will be 53, row 9 will be 55? Thank you again for your help

I can’t tell which size is the large size. I was assuming it was the 3rd size. Just increase every 4 rows at both ends (2sts increased per increase row) until you get to the correct number of sts (93?), then increase every 6 rows until you get to the next number of sts.

(I don’t understand the row numbers in your second post although the edit makes sense to me and is correct.)

Thank you so much Salmonmac!! I’m going to attempt this right now, you’ve helped a bunch!