My first Sweater and already having trouble!HELP!

Hi there~
I have made several scarves and dishcloths and think I’m ready to knit a sweater. I picked a patter that said “easy” from the knittingabout.com site for a “Musiqie Child’s knit Coat”. I just started on the back and am already in trouble! Can someone please decipher this in plain English for me?
“Work 2 rows even. Dec 1 st each end. Work 40 rows even. Dec. 1 st each end.” It’s in St st. I know Dec means to decrease but it doesn’t say what kind of Dec to use. And does it mean I knit (in St) 2 rows but Dec. once at beginning and end of each of those rows???

I’m feeling really stupid and like I should just stick with dishcloths~

I’d be ever so grateful if someone could steer me a bit through this project!
Thanks so much~
Dain

Don’t despair!

Amy, the owner of this wonderful website, has put a lot of time and effort into some helpful videos, which you can see if you look at the top of this page, find the “basic techniques” tab (in front of the red ball of yarn), and click on “decrease.” There is also a lovely picture of paired increases and decreases. Paired means that you put a right-slanting decrease (or increase) on one side of the work, and a left-slanting decrease (or increase) on the other, so your work is symmetrical.

Hope that helps!

thank you for pointing out those awesome videos! I had looked at the Decreasing page but didn’t even realize there were videos on that page so thanks for that! However, I still don’t understand the directions. I know how to Dec, but I don’ get when to do the Dec and which way to slant it. I am working on the back, only 4 rows done. I’m assuming I’m starting at the top-collar area? I dont’ even know that! Good grief.

Still confused~
D

Unless the sweater pattern says it’s “top down”, you’re probably starting from the bottom up.

“Work 2 rows even. Dec 1 st each end. Work 40 rows even. Dec. 1 st each end.” It’s in St st. I know Dec means to decrease but it doesn’t say what kind of Dec to use. And does it mean I knit (in St) 2 rows but Dec. once at beginning and end of each of those rows???

Here’s some deciphering:

Work 2 rows even = Work 2 rows without increasing or decreasing.
Dec 1 st each end = Decrease 1 st at the beginning and 1 st at the end of the row. (Row 3, in this case)
Work 40 rows even = Work 40 rows without inc or dec.
Dec 1 st each end = Decrease 1 st at the beginning and 1 st at the end of the row. (Row 44, if you are counting from the beginning)

With these decreases, you are probably safe putting them at the edge of your work, where they won’t show once the back and front are sewn together, so you can do the easy k2tog (knit 2 together) decrease instead of worrying about paired decreases.

Work 2 rows even = work two rows in stst, so say one knit row and one purl row

Dec 1 st each end= knit one stitch, SSK, knit to last three stitches, K2tog, knit 1 stitch

Then you do 40 rows in stst and decreas as discribed above again(on a knit row!).

Hope that helps! Some patterns just assume you know the above…not very beginner compartible if you ask me :wink:

Edit: eggplant was faster :lol:

Thanks-that makes sense!! :smiley:

If anyone is interested in looking at this cute, “easy” pattern, you can go to http://knitting.about.com/library/musiquecoat.htm to view it. You’ll see why I chose it-it’s really sweet. I have my doubts it’ll look like that when I’m done with it! LOL.

I CAN do it!! (with your help… :wink:

Dain

Dain,

That’s a cute pattern. Just so you know, you are starting the back at the bottom and knitting up. I :heart: :heart: the Crystal Palace Musique yarn. Is that what you’re using for this?

Happy Knitting :XX: :XX:

Mary

That is gorgeous yarn!!! Your sweater will turn out beautifully.

~Chloe~

Yes, I do have the Musique yarn and it is gorgeous. When I was at my LYS they had a beautiful poncho made on a mannequin with another color of the Musique-a vanilla-y, brown color and I couldn’t resist and got yarn for that as well.

So far, my knitting is looking pretty sloppy. I made a swatch and the stitch gauge was on but the row gauge was not. Judging by other similar guage questions posted here, I gather that’s not too important as long as I am knitting by given dimensions, not just rows, correct?
I’ve already started over twice…I think I may need to start over again to tighten my stitches up.

If it wasn’t for my desire to use this beautiful yarn…

Thanks again for everyone’s help. I am so grateful to have found this website!
:XX: Dain