My first ever project

Hi all :slight_smile:

I am extremely new to knitting… a little about me, I’m Nikki, 25 years old and live in London. My mum was always a great knitter, and she taught me the basic stitch years ago. Unfortunately she passed away 2 years ago in September, so I can’t ask her for the help that I desperately need.

I recently found out that we are expecting our first child. We’re so excited, but I would like to start knitting things for her now. I picked up a book the other day and saw a very basic level knitting a rug, so I thought I would use that as my practice project. The book says a “Felted wool yarn such as Dreadlock Wool; apprx 175yds (160m) per 4lb 8oz (2kg) cone. Needles to be 4.5cm knitting needles.”

Well, I’m lost already - I’m sure i’ll pick it all up as I go along, but I think I just need a little help to get my head around this one so that I can learn a I go (that’s usually my best angle to learn things).

I have been looking at some wools, but it says to have a 10cm needle for them chunky ones - so what do I do here? Go for thinner to make them go on 4.5 knitting needle, or go for a bigger needle?

Also, while I’m here I may as well ask, does all wool thickness then need a certain size needle? I never got that in to asking all these questions to my mum when she was around :frowning:

Thank you for any help, and apologise for any stupid sounding questions! :frowning:

Nikki x

Hi Nikki,

No question is stupid if you don’t know the answer. I’m afraid I don’t know the answer in relation to the needles but with regards to wool thickness on the ball bands it always gives you a recommendation for needle size plus a small chart usually above the needles and that tells you what the tension should be. Sometimes you have to change the needle size anyway to get your tension right.

Congratulations of the baby and i’m sure someone who knows what they’re talking about will be along in a minute - what wool are you using?

Thank you for your reply :slight_smile:

I have done lots of research and it looks like the needles are just huge! I’ve been trying to find a wool to use for those size needles but that’s looking to be £50 a ball, and the needles £50, so, I’m revising this project and seeing what else I can make haha!

Welcome and congratulations!
Knittybag is right about the yarn band recommendations on needle size. For a rug, it’s not so critical but it helps to have an idea where to start.
Sounds like your pattern is asking for super chunky yarn
http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/mango-moon-dreadlocks-merino
The yarn recommendation is a 6.5-10mm needle but your pattern may be looking for a looser fabric knit on larger needles.
Usually, the safest thing to go by is the gauge or tension given in the pattern. You can adjust your needle size to the yarn you’re using and the kind of knitter (loose, tight or just right) that you are.
There are some helpful videos up at the top of this page under Free Videos, Getting Started if you want to read more.

Hi nikki90; I am just guessing but if you are going to felt the rug when you are finished, working it up on smaller, under-sized needles will allow for a looser knit. It will give more room for shrinkage of the stitches and less distortion of the rug, allowing it to lie flat. I could be wrong. I have never felted anything before. At least not on purpose.

Generally you knit on suggested size or slightly larger needles not smaller when something is going to be felted.