Multiples

Hello - I am going to make redheart.com’s knit blanket called “Cabled Classic Throw” but I want to make it about 2 or 3 rows wider. I forgot how to figure out what the multiple of a pattern is so that I can increase correctly. Can someone please tell me once and for all how I can do this for all patterns that don’t list a multiple?? Thank you VERY much.

Well, I don’t know how to advise you for ALL patterns, but for THIS pattern take a look at the instructions for Row 7.

It says to repeat what’s after the *. (P6, K6) I would increase by multiples of 12 to the original 230 sts. That would be 242, 254, 266, etc…

hth, knitcindy

so I would just cast on any number I want as long as it is a multiple of 12? Will that give me the correct edges on both sides? Thanks!

Just posting the PDF link http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW2700.pdf

You could cast on the numbers that knitcindy gave as examples in post 2, multiples of 12 plus the original 230. The blanket is a multiple of 12 + 14, so a simple multiple of 12 won’t work.

Hello: So I would cast on a multiple of 12 stitches over the original 230 then add 14 more stitches? Will that give me the correct edges on both sides? And you mean the 12 extra stitches will each give me another cable in the pattern right? And the 14 is both edges? Sorry for all the questions, but I always have trouble figuring out the multiple when it is not posted in pattern and it usually is not.

Your original cast on # is 230. You will add extra cables by adding 12 (or 24 or 36) to the original 230. That will add more cables and you don’t have to worry about the edges because those are already figured into the original 230.

Start with your original 230 and add 12 for each extra cable you want to add. Do not worry about the edges. Remember that’s for THIS blanket only. NOT adding multiples in general.

hth, knitcindy

Thank you very much!

No problem!!! Don’t forget to post pics here once you’ve finished it! I’m sure it will turn out beautiful!!!

knitcindy