Multiple of this plus that

I HATE these directions!

They say, this is a multiple of 10 + 3.

Does that mean 10xwhatever, 10x4=40, plus 3, which would be
a total of 43 sts cast on, OR,
does that mean 13x4= 52, so cast on 52 stitches?

To do this cloverleaf eyelet, they say
multiple of 8 sts + 7.

Does that mean, say, 24 PLUS 7, equalling 31 cast on sts,
or, 15x3=45, so, 45 cast on stitches?:!!!: :evil: :grrr: :gah:

You always multiply the first number, then add the 2nd number. So for the cloverleaf, 3x8=24+7=31 for the CO.

That is confusing, but once you understand that the +X number is only added to the CO once for each size it makes it easier. It’s just there to make the pattern come out correctly.

Oh, bless you, bless you, suzeeq!:pray:

This had me and my husband both wondering.

ALWAYS multiply the FIRST number, then add the 2nd number, [U]at the end, after [/U]casting on the multiple of the first number, right?

:shock: :arrow: what means you by saying is only added on to the co once for each size?

You mean, for a small size, you add 2 at the end, for a medium size, you add on 4?

No. By size I meant the number of multiples or repeats. It’s what Sue said. For the multiple of 8+7 you’d figure out many multiples (repeats) you want and then add 7 to it.

1x8 = 8 + 7 = CO 15
2x8 = 16 + 7 = Co 23
3x8 = 24 = 7 = CO 31

See…you always add the 7 to the end. Once you start the pattern it’ll make more sense when you see it in action. :wink: What are you making?

ALWAYS multiply the FIRST number, then add the 2nd number, [U]at the end, after [/U]casting on the multiple of the first number, right?

Yes, that’s right.

I’m not sure yet, but, whatever it is, it will be a sample. To see if I like it, before investing time in it.
I like to do sample patterns, and then think about it.
I have to see first, IF I EVEN UNDERSTAND THE DARN PATTERN !!
:stuck_out_tongue:

OK, here’s some MORE insanity.

What the :!!!: does this mean?

MC: CO a multiple of 6 sts -1.

Row 1: Knit.

Row 2: Purl.

Row 3: CC: K5, sl1 end k5.

Row 4: P5, sl1 end p5

Repeat these 4 rows as until desired length is reached

Does that mean cast on FIVE stitches, or does that mean cast on five, then nothing, or …
I’m confused about this minus deal, because in the directions, or, recipe, as I like to call it, row 3, you knit FIVE, then slip ONE.
So, that means you have to have at least 6 stitches on the needle.
So, why does this person say six minus one?
:waah:

And,while I’m on it, why isn’t there a more standardized set of
instructions with the same name for the pattern?

You can find way too many instructions with weird titles, for a pattern.

One calls it a chalice, one calls it a feather, one calls it a leaf…

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: Beats me but I don’t think any of us will ever learn everything… I’ve said it before- I don’t think if I lived to be 209, I’ll ever get to do everything I want to in knitting.

o hun, it’s ok!!!
What they mean is that you have a multiple of 6 sts. O for arguments sake let’s say you multiply 6 to get 24. To get the proper stitch count you would subtract 1 leaving you with 23 sts.
They write them that way so that you could design something like a scarf or washcloth or even a sweater using how ever many repeats of the pattern that you need. Widthwise that is. Length wise. That’s pretty much a no brainer. You just knit the pattern til it’s long enough.

Any time they use the term multiple plus or minus that means you’ll cast on something times that number depending upon the size and then add or subtract a certain number of stitches. It’s actually just basic algebra.

For example, CO multiple of 6 -1.

Lets say to make a medium sized FO you cast on 6 x 4 -1.

That means you’ll cast on 6 stitches x 3 (18 stitches) and then on the fourth you’ll cast on 6 - 1 which would be 5.

The same applies when it’s a multiple + a certain number. Same example, multiple of 6 + 1. For medium you need 6 x 4 + 1

Cast on 6 x 3 (18) and then for the last one it would be 6 +1 (7).

Clear as mud?

Just remember you cast on a certain number of stitches in a multiple of whatever the pattern calls for and then at the end you’ll add or subtract the number they specify.

Probably whoever stumbled on or invented a certain combination of stitches called it what they thought it looked like. Or it was an old traditional stitch and different families called it by different names.

OH! :balloons:

Now, that makes sense.

I’m going to invent the photolady pattern.

Lots of color requirements.:mrgreen:

I don’t think I’ve actually designed any thing,like a sweater.

Right now, I’m still learning.

Hun, after a couple years you’ll be lookin for a pattern but won’t be able to find something that just clicks so you say… aww heck with it, I’ll just design my own. So you’ll get there hun no worries.:thumbsup:

I know that this might soud crazy… (I’m new to knitting), but where do you get the number to multiply by from?

The st pattern dictionaries will say “multiple of 8 sts plus 3” or something like that. If you want to try out a pattern but want it more than 11 sts, then you decide how many times you want to repeat the pattern, like 3 so you’d CO 8x3+3 for 27 sts. If a stitch pattern is in a pattern, they’ll tell you the same “stitch pattern is a mult of 8sts plus 3” and it’s just written in the pattern.