Much too tight!

I’m sure this has been asked a million times by newbies, but I couldn’t figure out how to get the search feature to find what I was looking for.

I’m a long time crocheter learning how to knit. I’ve finally got the knit stitch down, but the stitches are so tight I can barely move the piece (a dishcloth) on the needle. I’ve tried to make my tension looser, but so far it’s not working.

Any hints or tips for loosening things up? My arm and had are killing me because I’m doing it so tightly! :ick:

Thanks!

I think when I first started knitting late last year, I had a problem with stitches too loose…found I didn’t have the yarn wrapped around my pinky finger for tension…

Maybe the yarn is wrapped too tight or too many times around your finger, causing too much tension?!

I bet someone else might be able to help you more, but worth a try! :slight_smile:

Martha

First, don’t pull on your stitches after you knit them. If you knit a stitch, don’t give it a tug to tighten it up–many beginners do that.

Also if your yarn and needles aren’t a good match, then you’ll have tension problems.

Another factor could be if you’re twisting your stitches by not knitting into the front loop of the stitch.

Most of all–relax. Let your yarn and needles determine your tension. It’s just your job to wrap the yarn and pull it through the loop.:thumbsup: