Moving on to sleeves - stitches look totally different?!

Hi all!

I am currently knitting a cardigan which has raglan increases and knit rs purl ws back and forth for the shoulder shaping and body. I have finally started the sleeves and the stitches look completely different compared to the shoulder and body :frowning:

I have gone up a needle size and tried to make my sleeves (which are in the round) looser, but to no avail. I am a bit baffled as to what I am doing wrong as photos of other projects don’t appear to have such a distinct difference.

Hoping someone can give some advice - I am prepared to rip it back and start the sleeves over if needs be!

How do you wrap your purls? I don’t know for sure but I think your stitches worked flat look twisted. If you wrap your purls clockwise then knit into the front loop on the needle you’ll have twisted stitches. When working in the round it’s all knits for stockinette so nothing’s twisted and it looks different. If that is what happened you can make the stitches match by knitting through the back loop in the round. I doubt you would want to frog the entire project and your stitches look fine except the sleeve doesn’t match.

5 Likes

I agree with @GrumpyGramma the stitches in the top part of the sleeve look twisted. They are beautiful! I love the effect and it is even more effective with this yarn colour.
I would put in a life line frog back to where the change occurs and continue with twisted stitches for the rest of the project.
I suggest also using the original needle size rather than changing.

Lovely even knitting too.

4 Likes

Thanks. I wasn’t too sure. I like the part knitted flat, it looks really good.

That makes total sense, and you’re right that I purl clockwise!

It was so frustrating not understanding where I was going wrong so delighted to have a solution - thank you so much!

1 Like

I’m glad you now understand what happened. Don’t let anyone tell you purl wrong. You just need to understand what you’re doing. If you knit Continental with the yarn held in your left hand this way of purling is Russian or Eastern and you’re doing Continental Combined. I don’t know what it’s called if someone who knits English and throws wraps purls clockwise.

1 Like