Moss stitch question - help!

:?? Hi, I’m working on my first ‘proper’ knitting project (baby bootees) and have reached the SHAPE FOOT bit. I’ve come unstuck at the following pattern instruction: moss-st 3tog. Can anyone tell me how you do this please??! Thanks! Amanda

Is it a pattern that you can post? Usually patterns tell you how special stitches are made. Do they give any indication?

:thinking: Hi Ingrid, I can’t really post the pattern. However, I have been working Moss-st per the pattern instructions at the start (ie. 1st Row = k1, p1, rep from to last st, k1 and then Rep 1st Row etc.) I understand how to k3tog or p3tog, but if Moss stitch is a combination of k and p stitches, how is it possible to moss-st 3tog ?!! Do I k or p the 3 stitches? M

i will be facing this very same dilemma in another 12 rows or so. i unfortunately don’t know the answer for certain, but i have a thought on it and maybe someone can confirm or deny it for us.

the important thing with moss stitch is to knit the purls and purl the knits (as they face you) so my thought is, let’s say you decided to K the 3 together; on the opposite side, that is going to appear as 1 purl stitch, so as long as you knit that stitch on that row, i think the moss pattern would be maintained. so i would p, k3tog, p, making sure you p, k, p the following row. in my head, this seems right, but i haven’t knit it yet.

hope we figure it out! i’m going to be stuck too!

I would just knit the three together and then continue with the moss pattern as it fits. So, for example if the three stitches you knit together would have been a kpk, then you would just continue with pkpkpk after that. Make sense?

I would just knit the three together and then continue with the moss pattern as it fits. So, for example if the three stitches you knit together would have been a kpk, then you would just continue with pkpkpk after that. Make sense?

I would do this if the three stitches are kpk. If the three stitches are pkp, I would purl them together. Clear as mud?

Quote:

I would do this if the three stitches are kpk. If the three stitches are pkp, I would purl them together. Clear as mud?

Thanks all - this seems to have worked out okay. I get a 2nd go with bootee No2 now! M :thumbsup: