Moss / Seed stitch knitting in the round (circular knitting)

hello knitting peoples!

just a small questions. i’m going to knit a sweater using moss/ seed stitch using circular needles and i’m wondering…do i cast on an uneven number of stitches?
just thought i would ask the knitting gods right here.

if you have an answer for me please let me know :slight_smile:

thanks!

If you’re working seed stitch or moss stitch that’ll k1p1 then you need an even number of sts. It it’s k2p2 then you need an even number divisible by 4.

I noticed if I used an even number for moss stitch in the round i would end up with 2 purls on one side, do you get what i mean? i thought if i knitted moss with an uneven number i wouldn’t be left with 2 purls? hmm

Never mind, I’m all messed up.

i know knitting in the round with circular needles sound like a HUGE pain the the behind.
I’m just thinking of knitting with an uneven number then when i have to knit flat for the top half i’ll just increase a stitch and same would go for the other side. jeeze hope i dont eff this one up!

What pattern are you using? Can you give us a link or a pattern name?
I like knitting in the round, no matter what the stitch is. For hats, it works so well with no seam of any sort.

I’m making the pattern myself so i hope it works out :grin:
i love knitting in the round too! no seaming any ends such a nice feeling.
ok so I’m going to cast on 75 and when i get to the top part i’ll knit flat and increase 1 stitch to make it even. i hope this makes sense and it all works out alright.

That sounds like a good way to work it. We’d love to see a photo of the finished sweater

1 Like

i’ll post a photo once its done :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had a migraine and migraine brain is lingering, I didn’t think it matters because the join is always half a row off.
But then brain lets me think I see the problem with even, KPKP: on the next round you change order and P the K so you don’t change the stitch from last to first. So thinking of a spiral I’d say odd (plus one if you join cast on with a k2tog).

I do no-seam sweaters top down so the join ends up center chest. I know stockinette/reverse and cables don’t show it but garter does. Since it’s your own design you could always put a panel of something up the join if it shows.

1 Like

@Mike, thank you! You’re absolutely right. It should be an uneven number of sts for seed stitch in the round.
@1knitty, many apologies for the confusion. Uneven sts for seed stitch in the round.

1 Like

I even watched that same video trying to figure it out with the migraine and didn’t catch her saying uneven.

Really sorry about the migraine, Mike. I can only imagine how difficult it makes everything. Hope you feel better soon.
Thanks again for putting so much thought into this.

Thanks. That’s (my) life. I normally get 1-2 a week. I’m hoping this means I don’t get one at infusion. I’m not sure if it’s the infusion meds, being trapped in fluorescent lighting or the weekend of sleeping but a migraine mixed in with it all is bad.