More Pattern Trouble

I finally sat down to start my first large project and the math just isn’t adding up.

Instructions:
Cast on 178 sts. Knit 3 Rows

Row 1 (Right Side): K5 for Border, [K2tog] 4 times,*[K in front and back of next st] 8 times, [K2tog] 8 times; rep from * 8 times more; [K in front and back of next st] 8 times, [K2tog] 4 times, K5 for border.

Without realizing the obvious I was knitting along and ran out of stitches. So I did the math, I came up with the need to cast on 250 sts instead of 178. Am I crazy?

Row 1 (Right Side): K5 for Border ([COLOR=“Red”]5[COLOR=“Black”])[/COLOR][/COLOR], [K2tog] 4 times([COLOR=“Red”]8[COLOR=“Black”])[/COLOR][/COLOR],*[K in front and back of next st] 8 times([COLOR=“Red”]8[COLOR=“Black”])[/COLOR][/COLOR], [K2tog] 8 times([COLOR=“Red”]16[COLOR=“Black”])[/COLOR][/COLOR]; rep from * 8 times more([COLOR=“Red”]192[COLOR=“Black”])[/COLOR][/COLOR]; [K in front and back of next st] 8 times([COLOR=“Red”]8[COLOR=“Black”])[/COLOR][/COLOR], [K2tog] 4 times([COLOR=“Red”]8[COLOR=“Black”])[/COLOR][/COLOR], K5 for border([COLOR=“Red”]5[/COLOR]).

Your math seems right to me… If you did the repeat 6 times then it should work… you could try that or check with the person who made the pattern

Yep, I get 250 as well.

-Kris

[[COLOR=“SeaGreen”]K in front and back of next st[/COLOR]] 8 times, [[COLOR=“Red”]K2tog][/COLOR] 8 times;

These actions cancel each other out. Your repeats make 8 [COLOR=“SeaGreen”]incs[/COLOR], and then 8 [COLOR=“Red”]decs[/COLOR]. Thus, there are no gained or lost sts here.

ETA:

K5 for Border, [K2tog] 4 times,…[K in front and back of next st] 8 times, [K2tog] 4 times, K5 for border

Same for border sts. -4 on first border, +8 and -4 at end. -4+8-4=0 No gain or loss of sts.

I agree with cam, you shouldn’t be getting that many extra sts. Are you doing kfb 8 times in one stitch, or kfb in one stitch for 8 sts? That’s the only way I can think that you’d get an extra 70some stitches.

I’m doing kfb in one stitch 8 times. I am fairly new to knitting but have been crocheting and reading patterns for 20+ years and [Knit in front and back of next stitch] 8 times = (in my experience) kfb in one stitch 8 times.

I know I will end with the same number of stitches; I think the problem is the starting number of stitches. It does not allow for the repeats as often as the instructions indicate.

I can’t come up with why you’d get extra stitches either. All of the increases are balanced with decreases. I can’t tell for sure from your last post, but on the

[Knit in front and back of next stitch] 8 times

are you doing all of that into ONE stitch? You should be kfb into one stitch, then move to the next stitch and kfb, then the next, etc for 8 stitches. That increases each of the 8 stitches into 2 stitches.

OK…I am kfb in one stitch and moving to the next stitch for a total of 8.

The problem is not having too many stitches it is not having enough stitches to complete the pattern row. The pattern calls for casting on 178 sts, if only 178 sts are cast then you run out before the end of the row.

The solution I came up with is to start with 250 stitches cast on. Then I can follow the pattern without running out of stitches.

I just wanted someone else to confirm that 250 should be the correct number of cast on stitches to follow the pattern as written.

OK, sorry, now I see I misread your question.

I did a little more math, and here’s what I came up with. I don’t know what you’re knitting, but I bet it’s something that comes in sizes. If you do the * * section only 5 more times instead of 8 more times, the math comes out right. Is it possible you’re reading the wrong size for either the cast on or the repeat number?

I agree that she shouldn’t be increasing or decreasing any stitches in each row. But I do think she’ll need 250 cast-on stitches in order to get through the entire row. Here’s how I figure it:

Start with 250 st.
K5 for Border, (uses 5 st; 245 st on left needle)
[K2tog] 4 times, (uses 8 st; 237 st on left needle)
*[K in front and back of next st] 8 times, [K2tog] 8 times; rep from * 8 times more; (each repeat uses 24 st, so uses 216 st; 21 st on left needle)
[K in front and back of next st] 8 times, (uses 8 st; 13 st on left needle)
[K2tog] 4 times, (uses 8 st; 5 st on left needle)
K5 for border. (uses 5 st; left needle empty)

Isn’t that right?

-Kris

That is exactly how I figured it. In my head it all makes perfect sense, not sure why I am having so much trouble explaining.

Thank you so much!!!

Yup, I think your math is right- I just wonder if maybe the cast-on number of 178 goes with a different size than the repeat number of 8. If you repeat 5 times instead, then the cast-on number is right.

I figured it was a typo, I love the pattern so much (it really looks warm and comfy) I really didn’t mind making it a little bigger. I picked out a beige alpaca and can hardly wait to get finished.

It could definitely be a typo, that you should repeat 5 times instead of 8. Maybe someone had 8 on the brain since you kfb 8 times… they just got carried away and put in another one.