More Monster Knits pattern help- Turn??

I’ve spent the whole day trying to figure this out, but ended up having to tear my work apart because it doesn’t look right. Trying to make the polar bear hat
end of row 5 says place next 7 stitches on waste yarn, turn.
does that mean I turn the whole work (done in the round) and work the rows that follow?
I tried doing it but the cables did not turn out… and the next time it tells me to turn isn’t till row 21…at what point do I turn back to the right side? The instructions aren’t very clear.

PLEASE HELP, thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
Turn means to turn as you would at the end of a row and work back across the stitches you’d just completed. Even though you’re working in the round, turn and work back on the inside of the hat.

I don’t have the pattern so I’m not sure where you are in the hat. Is it knit bottom up or top down?

Thank you so much for the response and warm welcome! It is worked from the face ribbing I think. When am I supposed to turn back to the front? The pattern doesn’t mention turn again till row 21 for ‘short rows’ but I tried turning back on 21 but cables didn’t look right, I also turned back on the following row and it didn’t look right either. :frowning:The ribbing part just looks like a hot mess. The way the pattern is written it says turn at the very last part of a row, but it doesn’t tell me when to go back to the front of the work or how many stitches I work “turned” thank you so much, I appreciate your time and help!

Can you quote a couple of rows before the turning row and also a couple of rows after the turn row?
If it’s worked from the face ribbing you might be working the rows near the face in the round and then working back and for the main body of the hat. (That’ll leave the neck opening where you turn.) You would knit the rest back and forth. You may not go back to working in the round but keep turning to knit back and forth until you finish the hat.
The part around the neck might then be picked up and worked in the round finishing with the neck ribbing.

See if there are any general notes about how the hat is made before the pattern begins.

so it says join to work in the round prior to the whole pattern starting.
row 1-4 work in k1, p1 rib.
work in rows [ does that mean even though i joined to work in the round, i’m not actually supposed to work in the round] ( is this where I went wrong, and is that even possible to join to work in round but still work in rows? )

back to the pattern:

row 1-4 work in k1, p1 rib.
work in rows
row 5 [k1,p1] 4 times, m1rep from * to * 5 times (k1, p1) 4 times k1 place next 7 sts on waste yarn , turn. (54 sts0
row 6 P4, k2 (p4, k2) 3 times p6 (k2,p4) 3 timesk2, p4
row 7 : P4 , p2 , sl next stitch to cn and hold in back, k1 , k1, from cn, sl next stitch to cn and hold in front, k1, k1 from cn , p2, sl next 2 sts to cn and hold in back, k2, k2, from cn, p2, sl next 3 sts to cn and hold in back , k1, k3 from cn , p2, sl next 2 sts to cn and hold in back, k1, k2 from cn sl next stitch to cn and hold in front, k2 , k1 from cn … etc.

the way the pattern is written is not ideal, very wordy.
row 8 is just repeat row 6, row 9 is just the opposite of row 6 where the knits are purls and purls are knits,
row 10-21 is repeat row 6-9 3 times rows 22-23 repeat rows 6-7 once,

is that enough of the pattern? once again, thank you so much for taking your precious time to help me. I really do not want to give up on this , let me know if you need more info THANK YOU!

That’s perfect.
The initial ribbing is worked in the round. Then on row 5 you begin working back and forth. The opening where you turn at the end of row is for the neck.
The odd number rows will be the outside of the hat and they will have the cable crosses (see, for example, row 7). Keep count of the rows so that you can keep the cables on the outside of the hat with the correct spacing between cable crosses. The columns of knits and purls should align.

You’ll get this to work. Just keep marking off each row or clicking them off on a counter. It’s a very sweet hat.

OHHHH WOW…I’ve never done anything like this where you switch from in the round to going back and forth so I didn’t know this was possible. . . that makes it sound more doable … you are so helpful! thank you sooooo much!!! I will try to get some knitting done in the evenings / weekends and will update on progress… might need more help if I run into more trouble. THANK YOU SO MUCH for having faith in me when I was just about to give up …my yarn isn’t in the best shape from all the pulling apart i’ve been doing…haha…I hope I can do this! (fingers crossed)

You can do it. We’re all here to help!