More help with Wisteria Pattern decreasing and short rows

Thanks so much for the help on decreasing. I had no idea it had to be done ACROSS the row. So glad I asked.

That being said, do I simply use a knit 2 together stitch in the middle of the row?

Do I use a K2tog on the right (I take it the “right” means the right if I had the garment on???)

Do I use SSK on the left?

Now, onto the really confusing stuff below…

This is the pattern link: http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/wisteria/wisteria.html

:?? For the “Short Rows” :??

First of all, is this just a continuation of what I’ve been knitting? Yes, I think. (Apologies galore for my lack of brains here)

note: The bottom of this garment is shaped using short rows. When working these rows you will work across part of a row, then turn and work back leaving some sts unworded. This makes the sides shorter than the center.

Q: Loops just hanging there? Do I put on another needle to keep in place, like when working cable stitches??? I’m soooooo confused.

Row 1 (RS) K50, k center 21 sts, turn.
Q: do I just knit 50, then another 21 stitches right after that 50?
Q: Doesn’t this mean there will be loops just hanging in space? What do I do with this?

Row 2 (WS) P26, turn
Q: Same question regarding unfinished working loops just hanging there.

Row 3 (RS) K31, turn
Row 4 (WS) P36 turn,
continue working short rows in this manner working 5 sts more each row before turning until all 121 sts have been worked. Work more 6 rows in St st, end on WS. (this is exactly how it is worded… just work 6 additional rows in St st then???)

Note: sleeves are sewn to the back and front all the way to the cast-on edge… (then it goes on to working this part of pattern)

Again, thank you all for such great advice. I’m so excited to work this beautiful sweater. Keeps me busy and out of trouble while my husband is overseas for another year or so.

Thanks again!
Lee Lee

Row 1 (RS) K50, k center 21 sts, turn.
Q: do I just knit 50, then another 21 stitches right after that 50?
Q: Doesn’t this mean there will be loops just hanging in space? What do I do with this?

Row 2 (WS) P26, turn
Q: Same question regarding unfinished working loops just hanging there.

When you work a short row, you just turn the piece and leave the unknitted stitches on the other needle. Don’t worry about them for now.

continue working short rows in this manner working 5 sts more each row before turning until all 121 sts have been worked. Work more 6 rows in St st, end on WS. (this is exactly how it is worded… just work 6 additional rows in St st then???)

Yes, across all the stitches.

As for using k2tog or SSK for the decrease stitches, you can use one or the other in this case, since the decs are not at an edge, but all the way across. K2tog would probably look just fine.

sue

I see you knit this sweater. I need help with the short rows. I did the first 4 rows just fine. Then I repeat, do I knit the fifty stistches again?