Monstrous, beautiful project: the story so far …

Jan! - TSK! :wink:
Them sleeves are ALREADY THERE!
Have another look at the pic. of the real one, yeah? enter
chaleur knitting pattern
into your search engine and make sure to select the
IMAGES
button, and all will be revealed. To you both.
I hope.

Chaleur

OK, so the sleeves are already done. I think I see how. I don’t see where the short row sts being held are. You don’t need to try to explain it for me, I probably still wouldn’t get it. But…do the sleeves end up being hemmed?

ETA Maybe the held stitches are the ones to be Kitchener stitched? I think I’d do the 3 needle bind…oops! for you it’s cast off. :slight_smile:

Doh! I see it has short sleeves! Thanks, GG!

Knitpro is the European or international version of Knitpicks I believe.

If you drew a line from the edge of the right ‘cuff’ and followed right up the ‘sleeve’, across the neck and down the other shoulder and ‘sleeve’, you’d be looking at the short rows plus the 60-off sts in the middle. By two.
:expressionless:
Tomorrow I shall attempt to follow the pattern in order to Do Something (ANYTHING!) with these two flat halves.
If I am never heard from again, it’ll mean that I ended up tearing out all my hair and being carted off to the funny farm, OK?
:mad:

You’re almost done! It looks beautiful and you will be able to wear it with pride.:thumbsup:

Oh, Ingrid - you’re such an optimist! Sighh …
Have now kitchenered the underarms: easy, there were only 34 sts on each half.
Just discovered I have to kitchener the sloping shoulders: this means, GG, that your advice re short rows is sound! - I can now put a set of two lots sts on yarn back onto the needles (I do have a pair of straight 5.5mm - just as bloody well!) in one fell swoop. MUCH easier than it would’ve been to have TWENTY-SIX holders on each side. In fact, the very thought of that is so ludicrous that I wish to all the gods I could work out if the pattern actually means something else … Nup. It’s quite clear. :frowning:
But the shoulders (times 2, of course) are much longer - like, [I]really [/I]long. Think I might have a bit of a zizz first.
<grin>

I love this sweater. Might give it a try at some point. :zombie:

I meant to say - and because I honestly want this endless ‘blog’ to be of value to someone, somewhere, this is an important thing to know - that I was entirely correct regarding the drag factor of the bits hanging off.
Upon joining the underarms, I was left with enormous holes in the armpits, and had to do some ‘darning’ with the ends to fill 'em.
I have NO IDEA how I could have avoided this: the weight of the garment and of the various parts of it that hang off once you’ve knitted the bottom part in the round and are then doing those two flat halves (before joining them, too) means that every time you turn it to start another row you’re pulling on those armpit places.
Whoever said, much earlier, that this … THING shouldn’t be made in one piece is right!
Any knitter in the entire bloody world who could do it without whingeing would have to be some kind of saint.
:grrr:

Have now kitchenered till I’m half dead. :wink:
As you can see, all that remains to be done is the collar - in the round again, thank all the gods.
Not to mention (but I shall) having to weave in a whole shitload of ends.
After I finished the sloping shoulders’ joining, I felt very proud of myself for having managed to keep the wool at one of the neck edges still joined on to the ball. Went to the extent of buying another ball so that I didn’t have to break that.
And then I cut the wool I’d sewn up the last shoulder with …
Yup.
Wrong ball.
No more being joined on at the neck edge.
:doh:

Wow! That’s great! You’re so close now. You can carry a sign: The End is Near!
:woohoo:

It really is beautiful. You’ll get a lot of comfy use of it.

Melanoma surgeon 'phoned me last night to say that what she excised is, in fact, a melanoma. So I have to go back next week and have her carve out more from around the spot.
To be honest, I’m shitting meself: I’ve never heard of anyone’s having one melanoma and that’s It.
Still, no point in worrying myself sick, eh? - Chic used to say how little point there was in worrying in advance about anything: if it transpired, you’d wasted all that time; and if it didn’t, you’d wasted all that time …
:wink:
Have started on the collar and already realised that I forgot to put in the line of thread to mark the edge of it for sewing the top down.
Think me brain’s working to an even lesser degree than normal.
:help:

Oh, that’s too frightening. Go easy on yourself and don’t sweat the small stuff, the sweater will get worked out, and if you need to put it on hold for a few days or longer it will be waiting for you. I’m sorry for the news you got and hope they have something better to tell you soon.

So sorry to hear about the melanoma. My FIL has had several cut off him over a period of 10-12 years, so the main thing is to catch it early and to get checked often.

I had a big blob cut off my toe that they thought was melanoma. Turned out it wasn’t, thankfully, but still, yeah, scary stuff that!

Praying for better news for you.

My neighbor’s had a couple of melanomas taken off, but that was probably twenty years ago. He has to wear a sun hat and his wife made him put a golf umbrella on his riding lawn mower, but he’s still out doing yard work at close to 80. Once she gets the margins cleared by the right amount, whatever her idea of that is, it should be good.

Pleases me to read about others having melanomas removed and being still around, believe me! :slight_smile:
Robyn tells me she needs to get out “about a centimetre”.
You know, what revolts me most about this is the mental image of her having to remove stitches from a perfectly healthy wound and chop into it all over again. Ugh!
The basic anxiety re recovery is that, having fairly appalling lower back vertebral problems, I have to sleep in an adjustable bed - on me back! And the wound is almost exactly in the centre of where my back is in contact with the mattress.
Hasn’t been a problem, first time 'round; but I’m not sanguine regarding how things’ll be after Wednesday’s go.
I might even whinge about it!
:wink:

Oy! Yeah, when they cut you where you sit down or lay down, it is not so wayno (a corruption of bueno)!

Perhaps you could find one of those donut pillows like women use after giving birth and pad your bed with it and other pillows, with the hole strategically placed over your wound.

Or maybe it won’t bother you as much as you fear–especially, since the current wound is not so bad. Let’s hope so.

This is just one of those “amazing human body” things. Dad used to enlighten student doctors with it and they were generally impressed.

Have a friend close her eyes. Touch her forearm with a couple of fingers held close together and ask how many there are. She’ll probably know. Now do the same thing on the center of her back. Odds are she won’t have a clue.
If the skin on your back doesn’t have the fewest nerve endings in your body, I don’t know what beats it. This is a really good thing when anything back there hurts or itches!

I’m sorry, Margie. I can’t imagine how scary that is, but what others have said about getting it early is true. I know a couple of people who’ve had it and they are still kicking. :slight_smile:

I am fortified by all the good wishes: they comfort me, and I thank you all from the heart.

Now, back to the project, the hideous thing …

Having confessed that I forgot to put a line of coloured thread through the work at the point where the neck started, and having made many lines previously (this pattern is HORRIBLE to unpick!) the mistake giving rise to the confession, I am faced with what to do now that I’ve finished (the pattern called for me to pick up each st in that marked row, put it on the left and k2tog by way of what you lot call binding off).

Quite impossible to do … erhmm … manually - meaning, without there being that marked row to pick up.

So I cast off; and now I’ve taken the end of the yarn at the final point onto a tapestry needle and am picking up a row, st by st, and over-sewing the cast-off sts onto 'em.

Fiddly in the extreme; but once you start with a st, it’s not too hard to keep on that row to pick them up one by one. Checking the RS, it seems to be looking OK.

Fingers crossed.

We call this “flying by the seat of our pants.” Well, there are other, not so complimentary, ways of saying it, but that appears to be what you’re doing. And I have to “fly” in such a way on just about every project I undertake (partly because I don’t . . . ahem . . . follow patterns very well–on purpose–and partly because I regularly screw things up). At any rate, this type of “flying” really keeps your creative juices from getting bored.

You’re almost done. Go! Girl! Go! But perhaps save something to do while you’re waiting to have surgery, too? On the other hand, just take a simple, uncomplicated something-or-other to knit. Much less stressful that way.