Monstrous, beautiful project: the story so far …

I use waste yarn often. It’s very handy. :thumbsup:

The thing is this, and I am perfectly happy to admit it, whilst being ashamed of it: I am [I]totally [/I]impractical.
It comes from 31 years of living in the immediate proximity of a bloke who knew everything and could do everything (but who was also totally unassuming). As I never needed to try to work out how to do anything, I never did.
And, of course, there was no excuse for being so bloody lazy, but I did revel in it. It was cool! :cool:
So I’ve done as TGO suggested, and here are the pics, ‘front’ and ‘back’, including pale pink yarn - oh, and also white wool for the PCO!
And Jan, I believe I shall be keeping some leftover wool in the knitting-basket from now on!

Very beautiful Marg1e, I love this pattern and I think it will look even more amazing when finished

np. Hope it helps. I learned about it…you guessed it!..here! Do you know about lifelines? Take a gander at the Knitting Tips videos, you might find something useful. I was knitting waterfall lace and could take out just the stitches involved in the mess up and reknit them, the lifeline stopped them from running down farther. I figured if it worked for fixing cables, why not for what I was doing.

TECHknitter has tons of useful stuff. Here’s the index.

If you’re up for it you can look at my blog thread here (see my sig) and might find some useful things there.

I have this stuck in my head.

Just be careful about using wool yarn as lifelines or PCO for wool knitting. It is possible it could felt. I typically use crochet thread as I have it handy, dental floss is great, doubled sewing thread will do…for PCO I almost always use scraps of cotton yarn.

[COLOR=“Lime”]~Her Grumpiness[/COLOR]

I have perused your site, GG, believe it or not. I think my problem is that there is SO MUCH USEFUL STUFF there that my pathetic old brain shut down instantly. I have vowed to revisit in short bursts; but I can say truthfully that Lifelines are one thing I have remembered already. It is a most worthy and helpful thing to do: you amaze me! :yay:
“Hatari!” is one of my favourite movies of all times, and Mancini’s music is part of the reason. I always wondered what happened to the beautiful Elsa, and looked her up, once. And that taught me never to do that again: it’s too depressing. There are so few actors (not to mention people) - an exception that comes to mind right away is Phyllida Law - who remain beautiful after aging.

Yes, use a smooth lighter weight yarn for lifelines and waste yarn.

[U]short rows[/U]
It seems there will never be an end to the … ahh … [I]activities [/I]that form a very large part of creative knitting, these days, that I shall be obliged to get under my belt.
Sighh …
When - that is, IF - I finish this garment, I shall make a very neat and comprehensible list of every individual new thing that’s turned up on my knitting event horizon. You never know: there may be lots of old farts like me out there who’ve been knitting for yonks but never “today’s” patterns, and are thus as ignorant as I.
Was.
<grin>

Today I put back onto another circ. needle the sts the grumpy one had me slip off onto yarn.
This is because I’ve now knitted as far as the top of the sloping shoulders of one half and am about to start the underarm of the other half.
It’s all fairly unmanageable at the moment: until I’ve transferred these sts from the yarn to another 100cm needle, I can’t put the rest of the almost-completed half onto yarn.
I’d give quids to know what kind of knitter would find this pattern quite normal and copable with (forgive grammar).
:think:

A picture could you post, as Yoda might say. I can’t quite figure out what’s going on and I’m too nosy to let it be.

Have given up on the idea of putting the other lot of sts onto yarn: I just put the buttons onto the end of that circ. needle and am using a second 100cm one to continue with the other half.
I found that getting the sts OFF the yarn can be pretty time-consuming: they tend to sink into almost nothingness, and one is obliged to spend quite a while carefully pulling the yarn taut and claiming 'em back onto the needle.
I’ve been wondering how to lay the damned thing out so as to take a pic. that can be understood.
Will have a go later on …

No: impossible to photograph. There is NO WAY I can straighten it out to show any kind of shape, owing to the front/back half that’s had its shoulders knitted with short rows kept on the circ. needle. Right now, this … THING looks like nothing on earth.
When I finish knitting the back/front half, I’ll be coming back to receive input re kitchener st (as predicted); and at that point I expect to be able to show - something.
:help:

Yes, if you have a spare needle, even a smaller size needle, or a spare cable and buttons, that’s ideal for holding stitches. I’ve done the same thing you did, stretched the yarn taut to find shy stitches. Sound like you’re making good progress and from the earlier photo, it looks wonderful. You’ll be teaching all your new techniques next.

I shall never knit anything like this again.
This is 10 ply aran wool; the pattern is made in ONE PIECE; I, being a large old broad, must use the biggest size in the pattern.
The sum total of those three points mean that the garment is now almost impossible to manoeuvre.
It’s a huge weight. It has … well, I can only describe them as ‘pieces’ hanging off it. It requires careful lugging of all parts every time I need to move around the circular needle.
It is far and away the object I have [I]least [/I]enjoyed making.
It remains to be seen if I’m able to get it together sufficiently well to have it end up as anything half-way decent, as I have yet to master kitchener stitch to join up provisionally cast on edges.
Lesson for all you out there who might, as I did, fall in love with the look of a garment in a pattern: beware the construction methodology.

This whole project has been something of a nightmare for you and I’m sorry about that. It sounds like this is one project that should have been divided into pieces and seamed, but the designer didn’t think so. What is to be Kitchener stitched? Is it shoulder seams? I’m sure you can do the KS. You might want to practice on a sample before you tackle the monster. I share the blessing on my needles that I was given with you, I think we can both use it.

I wonder if it was just the way this one was written? It is hard when there are so many new techniques in one pattern/garment for sure. My first sweater was a simple pullover roll cuff/neck raglan so there weren’t too many. I get frustrated when things take forever.

At the moment ('cause I haven’t finished the second sleeve and no longer read instructions in advance - too dispiriting!), it’s the underarms of the sleeves, GG.
I’ve watched the video on KS and it looks perfectly simple - even I should be able to do that without slashing me wrists … :help:
And I agree with you, Jan - I doubt I could’ve chosen a worse project to re-start my knitting. Almost every technique new to me is included in it, and the designer assumes the knitter knows 'em all.
One of the things that worries me is the drag factor - you know, one of the semi-finished bits that’s hanging off is dragging the join sts like anything. Sighh …
Mebbe it’ll be OK once all hooked up together, so to speak.
Mebbe not.
:neutral:

The join at the underarm? That part is always a pain. I don’t necessarily follow the pattern to the letter. If there is a gap I just pick up an extra stitch and K2tog on the next row. Do what you need to to make it look acceptable to you. Really…don’t stress over it. If you have to you can use another piece of yarn or a tail end to clean up a loose area. I’ve done it with most sweaters.

Thanks for them calming woids, Jan! - but I’ve just realised something slightly alarming: doing kitchener stitch on a pattern is a different ballgame.
It’s going to take some deep thinking.
Or maybe I’m going to have to use plain knitting and say the hell with the pattern for joining.
:??

You might be able to slip your provisional cast-on stitches onto a needle and work a 3-needle bind-off instead of Kitchener. It will leave a seam, but it will be a very straight seam; and don’t most sweaters have seams?