Mock cable fingerless gloves

I have made these gloves and do not like the way it comes out. They have the same number of stitches casted on, but one is awlays bigger than the other.Plus the ribbing is suppose to be stretchy. That hasn’t happened., so I’m assuming its the yarn that I am using, A cheapy type.
i have a question about altering the pattern. I want to make them more form fitting, If I cut down on the number of stitches say from 41 to maybe 37 would it affect the pattern itself at all? :knitting:

Yes, it likely would. If they were plain stockinette it wouldn’t be a problem, but with a pattern stitch you need to adjust it so it’s still centered properly and your thumb is in the right place. Got a link?

I’ve been test knitting scarves and fingerless mitts for a new designer who publishes her patterns on Ravelry. The reason I mention this is because her latest pattern for a matching scarf and fingerless mitts gives the recommendation that you go up or down in needle size if you think your hands are quite petite, or larger than average.

She doesn’t recommend monkeying around with your stitch count. Another way to change the size is to use a lighter or heavier weight yarn with the appropriate size needle.

[B]Like for example:[/B]
Sportweight, US7 needles used, 7.75”h x 3.5”w at base of thumb
DK weight, US6 needles used, 7.5”h x 3.25”w at base of thumb
Sportweight, US6 needles used, 7.25”h x 3.25”w at base of thumb

And all three fingerless mitts shown in the pattern are different sizes, but the same number of stitches!

And As Jan mentioned, changing the stitch count is a can of worms.

There was a particular fingerless mitts [B]free pattern[/B] that I also knit up. Several pairs actually. The first pair was totally too small for me. The cuffs were way too small. Not stretchy at all. So I gifted then to my granddaughter. The hand of the mitt fit me fine, and her, too…but it was that bugger of a cuff that threw me under the bus!

When I cast on another pair for myself, here’s what I did: using double strands and a US 9, I knit my cuff! Then I dropped down to the US 6 with a single stand for the remainder of the mitt! Perfect! I love those mitts, and wear them frequently! They’re my “go to” mitts, being relatively plain and black merino.

[B]Here’s my journey:[/B] My Plan B!

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ArtLady/a-little-twist-fingerless-mitts-3