Mittens

OK, I’m attempting my first pairs of mittens and am using Amy’s video as my pattern/teacher.

My first mitten seems to me to be HUGE. I followed the directions for the women’s size M (and after double checking my gauge found out it is right on) and it fits my husband’s hand. Since these are supposed to be for my college age nieces to wear on campus when the weather gets cold, I don’t think I need them that big. However, I wear gloves, not mittens, so maybe mittens are supposed to fit pretty loose.

Anyone got any advice or tips? Thanks a million!!!

Hmmm…I’ll ask Amy to respond, but maybe you need to make the small for your niece or use a lighter weight yarn and knit the medium?

I was thinking about dropping down to the “small” and see how that turns out, but wasn’t sure if that was the best way to go.

I could try bigger needles, or maybe the pattern is supposed to be a loose fit. Never having made them before, I’m just not sure.

Thanks for the idea of asking Amy - I appreciate that!!!

I sent her an email.

Bigger needles will make them larger. Smaller needles might work, but make sure you like the fabric and it’s not uncomfortably dense.

Hi Miccisue! Thanks, Jan, for the email.

Hmmm…are you using a regular worsted weight yarn, by chance, instead of the called for Heavy Worsted yarn? The thickness of the yarn is substantial, and adds to the snugness of the finished mittens. In regular worsted weight they would likely feel pretty “swimmy.”

In general, though, mittens should definitely have a [I]bit[/I] of looseness to them. They are not meant to be skin tight, by any means, not like gloves. Definitely looser than gloves! But if they are flopping off the hand, then that would be looser than intended. …Hope that helps. And of course, you can certainly modify the pattern if you prefer a snugger fit.

I hope that gives you a sense of the pattern’s intentions. Best of luck, and happy holidays to you and yours!
:muah:

I am using regular worsted weight. Apparently that makes the difference. I’ll just shoot for making the smaller size.

Thanks!!

What is the best way to “pick up and knit”? I have trouble with the yarn pulling through (or out, whichever) when I just bring a loop through a stitch. Left an enormous hole in the thumb on my last mitten, ugh. Does it hurt to tie the yarn to stitches that are already there to make sure it’s anchored? I’ll be the first to admit I have problems translating the video done using continental to my using english. My brain doesn’t process it correctly.:help:

Thanks!

I’m not sure what you mean by yarn pulling through or coming out. Are you at the point where you are starting a new yarn to create the thumb and must pick up stitches to join?

When I make mittens I have an area of loose stitches as well. I leave a long tail and when I’m done with the mitten I pull that tail to tighten it up a bit and then weave it in to fix the hole. I usually di it on the inside.

Jan, yes, that’s what I mean. It’s like the new strand won’t stay anchored - maybe because it’s just 3 stitches? I’ve watched the video on picking up stitches on the site, but it doesn’t seem to work as neatly on that gapped place by the thumb.(Doesn’t help that I was dumb enough to use dark yarn - Lion Brand Wool-Ease in twisted denim which is dark blue and black)

I also left a long tail, and mistakenly ended up knitting with that instead of the live yarn. That was a nightmare.

We’ve all knitted with the tail. :teehee: And yes it is a pain!:hair:

Most people I know IRL and here seem to have issues with the yarn join on thumbs and on the underarm of sweaters. You can tie the yarn if you’d like. I just prefer not to have knots on my projects and I just fix the holes later with the tail.

Got the first pair done. Went down a size and they’re still “roomy” so I’ll just tell them they can be used as a layer over other gloves if need be.

Thumbs look a tad deformed, but I guess that’s what practice is for, lol!!

Yes, you’ll get better and find ways that work for you.

I suspect maybe you’re a loose knitter. I usually have to go down a couple needle sizes. Figuring this out just takes time and practice as well.

Don’t know if it’s that, or if it’s the difference between the Wool Ease I’m using and the heavy worsted that was called for. I used to knit so tight I could barely fit the second needle through the loops to make the stitches. I’ve overcome that for sure, lol!!

I think wool-ease is closer to a DK weight or a light worsted even though it’s technically called worsted. Generally that would make the mittens smaller, but if you were using a needle too late the fabric would be looser and stretchy. That the problem?

they are looser, not sure if they’re extra stretchy or not. Should I try a size smaller needles as well as using the smaller size, do you think?

Wool Ease was the only thing I could find in a washable wool that was inexpensive enough that messing it up wouldn’t have depressed me for weeks. I wanted the wool part for the warmth and wicking, and the washable since, well, they’re college kids (easier is better).

I have problems with wool, so I personally don’t use it for much. what would be a better choice, do you think?

Well, if the mittens are truly too large and it’s not just because the fabric is loose because of a too large needle… Using lighter weight yarn and smaller needles or a smaller size pattern with the suggested weight yarn should work. I think you may have to try that…

I have the pattern so let me take a look at it…

Wait…what pattern are you using? Is it the Classic Mittens in All Sizes that you can buy?

Yes, that is the pattern. I started with the women’s medium and have dropped down to the small and they are still loose enough that they could fit gloved hands inside them.

Ok. I measured my own hand which i always considered average and its about 7" or slightly less. That puts me in the size 7-8 yrs category. I think the woman’s medium would fit my husband.

based on this I’d say go down at least one more size. If your nieces are small they may need another size down. Consider how much too large the mittens you have are first. If they are only slightly then go one size down. If they still fit your husband maybe try 2.

It’s going to be trial and error I think. Can the girls measure their hand around the knuckles or are these a surprise?

I’m not sure where Amy got these measurements.

BTW I found this in my PDF file when I was looking. Thumb gussets info-

I had the Thumb Gussets book and referenced it often. I have to get it again, one of the things I lost with computer problems. Thanks for reminding me of it, Jan.

I decide what yarn and needles produce the fabric I want, figure out how many stitches I’ll need for my hand and go from there. A basic mitten is done the same way regardless of how many stitches you start with. I either cast on about 10% fewer stitches for the rib or use smaller needles. Or I cast on for the rib and do it then decide to change needle size or increase the stitch count. Either way, if the rib fits nicely the hand part will too IME.