Mitten Help

Can someone help me figure this pattern out? THis is my first set of mittens. Thanks! Oh, by the way, I have 30 stitches on the needle.

[color=darkred]Divide for Thumb

1st Row: Knit 18 st, cast on 1 st then turn work round and leave remaining 12 st unworked (does that mean turn it around so that the 12 st are on my right and the 18 st (plus one casted on) that I just worked are on the left?–if so, I did that)

2nd Row: Knit 8 st, cast on 1 st then turn work round and leave remaining 11 st unworked (similar to the row above–did it)
Working on centre 9 st only work 8 rows more in garter stitch.(HUH???)[/color]

Okay…WAY confused on that part. If I turned my work around a second time for row 2 I have 20 st on my needle on the left hand side. How do I work just the center 9?? Or am I supposed to be working the center 9 st of the 11 st on my right needle?
I am just so confused! I could really use some help. If I am confusing you I am sorry.

For the first row, you have it correct… it will look like you’ve already knit 12 stitches for the next row after you turn.

For the second row, you have it correct again mostly. For the next 8 rows, you will only be working with the very middle stitches. You will have 12 and 11 stitches on either side that aren’t touched. Simply knit the 9, turn, knit the 9, turn, etc. It can be difficult to understand if you’ve never done short rows before. I always have to sequester myself from everyone and everything when I’m doing them to make sure I don’t make any errors.

Clear as mud? If not, just holler and I’m certain someone will chime in with an answer that makes more sense than mine! :wink:

For the next 8 rows, you will only be working with the very middle stitches. You will have 12 and 11 stitches on either side that aren’t touched. Simply knit the 9, turn, knit the 9, turn, etc. It can be difficult to understand if you’ve never done short rows before

I am still confused. When I get to the 9 center row part of the directions, I have 20 st on my left needle and 11 on my right. Which center 9 am I working on and what is a short row??? Can you explain to me what to do at this point? Thanks!

You have 11 on one needle and 20 on the other, right?

That means you don’t knit the 11. Knit the first 9 of the second needle over and over. That leaves 11 unknit on the end of that needle, too.

Short rows are just that–only knitting part of the row to shape the whatever you’re knitting.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [color=red]1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [/color]1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Knit the red ones.

Ingrid! That makes TOTAL sense! Why couldn’t they have said that in an easier way! I was thinking I was knitting the middle 9 of the 20 or the middle 9 of the 11 and thought “How in the he** do I do that!!!” :doh:

Some patterns make it sooooo complicated!