Minor confuddlement

Ok, So I thought I would try a bigger project and settled on this jumping sun pattern that I found on Ravelry for my girls. I’ve progressed OK so far but am somewhat confuddled with the next instructions. The area in question is as follows: (I am including the first bit for clarity, but it’s the part in red that I’m unsure about.)

[I]Round 1: After knitting all 12 triangles, join to work in the round being careful not to twist stitches. Place a stitch marker
at the beginning of round and increase 9 stitches as follows: *knit 20, M1, repeat from * until the end of the round (189
sts). Place a second marker after 94 sts to indicate the side “seam”. The front has 94 sts and the back has 95 sts. The
increases are made because there are gauge differences between garter stitch and Stockinette stitch.

Rounds 2-7: knit

Shaping the sides:
Next round (decrease round): k 1, k 2 tog, k 88 (front), ssk, k 1, SM, k 1, k 2 tog, k 89 (back), ssk, k 1
Repeat these decreases as follows:
[COLOR=“Red”]1x every 15. rnd
3x every 7. rnd (the beginning of the pocket is right after these decreases, see below)
5x every 5. rnd (during the last of these decrease rounds, k 2 tog in the middle of the back, so there are same amount of
stitches at the front and back)
and 4x every 2. rnd (it’s possible that every 3. rnd could look better)[/COLOR][/I]

Does it mean to decrease 3 stitches every 7 rounds? or 3 stitches every round for 7 rounds? My confuddlement stems from the previous decrease which only has the k 2 tog and the ssk, for the front and the back.

The whole pattern is here on Ravelry

Thanks in advance.

freebs :thumbsup:

I went to the pattern on Ravelry and here is my take on this:

• You knit the triangles and then join them in a circle.
  • You then begin working 77 stocking stitch rounds. The gauge is 7 rounds = 1", so that would give you 11" above the triangles by the time you’ve started adding the pocket. Looking at the pattern (which is adorable by the way!), that looks about right.
  • Here’s how I got that number. . .
    Rnd 1: establish stocking st and increase to 189.
    Rnds 2 - 7: straight stocking st.
    Rnds 8 - 77: each rnd in stocking st, with decreasing 4 sts (2 in the front half and 2 in the back half) in these rounds: 8, 23, 30, 37, 44, 49, 54, 59, 64, 69 (in the 69th rnd, decrease an extra 1 in the back half, meaning you’ll decrease 5 sts in that round), 71, 73, 75, 77. Which means you decreased for the 1st time in row 8, then 1X every 15th rnd (rnd 23), then 3 times in every 7th rnd (rnds 30, 37 and 44), then 5 times in every 5th row (rnds 49, 54, 59, 64 and 69) and then 4 times every 2nd row (rnds 71, 73, 75, 77).

You began with 189 sts and this will leave you with 144, after a total decrease of 45 sts.

And by the way, it’s not you-- the pattern writer should have stated the amount of sts you’ll be left with after all the decreases!-- they usually do.

Wow, that makes perfect sense.
Just to confirm however, this is what the decreases would be:

[COLOR=“Red”]Round 8:[/COLOR] k 1, k 2 tog, k 88 (front), ssk, k 1, SM, k 1, k 2 tog, k 89 (back), ssk, k 1 [COLOR=“Red”](92 front/ 93 back)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=“red”]Round 23:[/COLOR] k 1, k 2 tog, k 86 (front), ssk, k 1, SM, k 1, k 2 tog, k 87 (back), ssk, k 1 [COLOR=“red”](90 front/ 91 back)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=“red”]Round 30:[/COLOR] k 1, k 2 tog, k 84 (front), ssk, k 1, SM, k 1, k 2 tog, k 85 (back), ssk, k 1 [COLOR=“red”](88 front/ 89 back)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=“red”]Round 37:[/COLOR] k 1, k 2 tog, k 82 (front), ssk, k 1, SM, k 1, k 2 tog, k 83 (back), ssk, k 1 [COLOR=“red”](86 front/ 87 back)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=“red”]Round 42:[/COLOR] k 1, k 2 tog, k 80 (front), ssk, k 1, SM, k 1, k 2 tog, k 81 (back), ssk, k 1 [COLOR=“red”](84 front/ 85 back)[/COLOR]

etc, etc, etc

With all rounds in between just straight stocking stitch.

It really makes sense now, you wouldn’t believe how many ways I’ve looked at this.

Cheers

freebs

You’ve got it! Just make sure that you remember to decrease an extra st in the back section in rnd 69-- I’d do it exactly in the middle so that it hangs right.

When you’ve had a lot of experience reading patterns, you know what to look for. But that one is not totally well written. Particularly that bit about “it’s possible every 3rd rnd could look better.” What they mean is that instead of decreasing every 2nd round 4 times, that perhaps you should decrease every 3rd round instead. They are wondering aloud (yeah, great place to do that-- in the middle of a published knitting pattern:hmm: ) if slightly more space between decrease rows will give the dress a better look. That gives you 3 extra rows (instead of those last decreases being in rows 71, 73, 75 and 77, they will be in rows 71, 74, 77, 80). It’s totally up to you.

So glad to be of help!

Be sure to post photos when it’s all done–what a sweet dress!