Mattress stitch problems

I have made both fingerless mitts and they look beautiful HOWEVER…I can’t seem to get the mattress stitch to work. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I can’t find the “bars”. I have watched the video clip over and over and feel like a big dummy! Any suggestions?
This is the pattern I have made.

I’m not very good at it either. I think it take some practice. :shrug:

Knitty has some good instructions I’m going to check out next time I have to do it though.
Knitty - Mattress Stitch

Jan…I think it has something to do with the way the edges have been knit on this pattern…I am so frustrated right now. I have checked out the knitty instructions too…but I am still getting a horrible finish.

if you pull horizontally at the edge of the piece that you are inserting the tapestry needle into, the bars are the side edges of the stitches. (first or second depending on how far in you want the seam to go.)
if you can’t find them I would just say pull a little harder, it won’t hurt the glove?

unless I misunderstood what you meant by bar…?

it really helps me when I’m doing this to pull (or yank) on each side whenever I insert the needle, so I don’t repeat or skip any. then don’t worry too much about making it too tight - the tighter you make the stitches, the neater the seam will end up, I think.

once I did use the bottom edges of the stitches too, and that also turned out fine. you can see where I sewed it, but it looks kind of frankenstein, which I liked.

hope that helped?

I just can’t seem to get it apart enough to even find the bars. It is such a beautiful piece of knitting (ok, so I am complimenting myself!) that I don’t want to ruin it. I am thinking maybe blocking before would help.
here is a photo stretched to block and not stretched.

I just can’t seem to get it apart enough to even find the bars. It is such a beautiful piece of knitting (ok, so I am complimenting myself!) that I don’t want to ruin it. I am thinking maybe blocking before would help.
here is a photo stretched to block and not stretched.

I wouldn’t block it if you don’t want to.
can you find any part of any stitch at the edges at all?
I don’t think it necessarily has to be the vertical side section, you could even use where the stitches cross. as long as you use the same color yarn, if it is that compressed it probably won’t show too much or at all, because the stitches should kind of roll inwards towards the center of the seam to face each other when it’s done. if that makes sense.

[color=violet][size=6]I wrote you directly, but I’m afraid I wasn’t much help, as my mitts were done in the round.

This IS beautiful knitting, and unfortunately the seam line will be very visible, so I hope the earlier advice that others gave will help ![/size][/color] :??