Malabrigo Reade Shawl bind off

I need help understanding how to do this bind off. I hope someone can help me!:

Elastic bind off (RS) K1, k1, insert LH needle through both sts on RH needle, k2togtabl, rep from to marked st, knit this st (do not remove marker), bind off 1 st, place rem st back onto LH needle, cable cast on 1 st, bind off 1 st, insert RH needle into the center of marked st and pull up a loop, bind off 1 st) 9 times, rep from * to last st, fasten off last st.

W

elcome to the forum!

Elastic bind off (RS) K1, * k1, insert LH needle through both sts on RH needle, k2togtabl, rep from* to marked st, knit this st (do not remove marker), bind off 1 st, place rem st back onto LH needle, cable cast on 1 st, bind off 1 st, insert RH needle into the center of marked st and pull up a loop, bind off 1 st ) 9 times, rep from * to last st, fasten off last st.

I’ve bolded the close parenthesis in the last line. Where is the open parenthesis? It must be indicating the sts to repeat 9 times.

sorry they dropped off when I posted…i’ll try again
Elastic bind off (RS) K1, [k1, insert LH needle through both sts on RH needle, k2togtabl, rep from to marked st, knit this st (do not remove marker), bind off 1 st, place rem st back onto LH needle, cable cast on 1 st, bind off 1 st, insert RH needle into the center of marked st and pull up a loop, bind off 1 st]
9 times, rep from * to last st, fasten off last st.

This project shows the bind off with the nubbin in the 3rd photo down.
https://www.ravelry.com/projects/megsmom28/reade-shawl

Elastic bind off (RS) K1, [ k1, insert LH needle through both sts on RH needle, k2togtabl, rep from to marked st,

This is a knit together through the back loop. Insert the LH needle into the two sts on the RH needle with the LH needle to the front, k2tog tbl.

At the marked stitch: knit this st (do not remove marker),
bind off 1 st by k2tog tbl,
place rem st back onto LH needle,
cable cast on 1 st, bind off 1 st by k2tog tbl (these 2sts are the one replaced onto the LH needle and the cable cast on stitch),
insert RH needle into the center of marked st and pull up a loop (this isn’t so easy to do but it’s possible. A crochet hook might help.),
bind off 1 st by k2tog tbl (these 2sts are the stitch remaining on the RH needle and the loop pulled up from the center of the marked stitch]

Then continue with the k2tog tbl until the next marked stitch.

at the marked stitch i bind off 1 st by k2tog tbl, i do with only 1 stitch not 2?

the marked stitch or the other 2nd stitch on my needle? sorry

When you get to the marked stitch, there’ll be one stitch on the RH needle. Knit the marked stitch then knit the 2sts on the RH needle together tbl. That will leave one stitch on the RH needle.
This may be easier to do than to work out on paper. You might try it on a small swatch.

cable cast on 1 st, bind off 1 st by k2tog tbl (these 2sts are the one replaced onto the LH needle and the cable cast on stitch),
i cable cast on, now no stitches on right hand needle. do i knit next 2 and then k2togtbl

then ill have one stitch on right needle, right?

I think I got it! or i created my own version of a picot! lol

1 Like

Well, that was my back up suggestion! I hope we get to see a photo of this very pretty shawl.

thank you so much for your patience and guidance! will do. hopefully block it tomorrow and then a pic!

shawl back 2 shawl back shawl front

Hi Salmonmac. Here are the promised pictures. Thank you so much! I would still be trying to figure it out if not for you. On to the next project!

1 Like

Oh wow! Did you ever figure it out. Gorgeous. Enjoy wearing it through all the cold weather and into the spring.