Making increases without pattern specifying how?

Hi all,

I have a simple pattern for a sweater that tells me to start doing increases after doing the ribbing for 6 rows and 10 more rows of stockinette stitch. The pattern says: make increases (at 2 stitches from the side) on both sides, at row 10 1x1, and then every 8 rows 4x1. I guess it means (correct me if I’m wrong…) on row 10 make one increase 2 stitches after beginning the row, and then in row 11 make another one the same way, and then knit 8 more rows.Then in row 19 start making increases again (20 through 26 will have an increase at 2 stitches from the beginning I suppose? In total I will have 10 more stitches than when I started.

2 things are confusing me: do I keep making increases till the end of times (because it says make a 4x1 increase every 8th row), or is this a one time thing?

What kind of increase is normal to do in these case? The make one right, or make one left, or knit left leg, or knit right leg…? Or with a yarn over, which will make a little eyelet? It doesn’t say.

I am translating the pattern from Dutch so it’s extra hard for me to know what they are asking for. But they are not saying anymore than this:

“Make on both sides at 2 stitches from the sides: 10 rows higher: 1x1 increase and each 8th row: 4x1 increase”. Next sentence says: “you have 71 stitches (I had 61 before the increases)”. And next: “bring on both sides, at 36 cm (50 rows) from the ribbing, a marker ring or a colored thread in order to signal the arm opening”.

Anyone knows what I have to do? The yarn is supper annoying to frog and it’s 2 threads together so I thought I’d ask first.

Thank you so much if anyone can help me!

This is so clever of you to translate the pattern. Good going!
Do the increase at each side on row 10 and then increase every 8 rows, 4 times. So you’ll increase on rows 10,18,26,34,42. That’ll be 10sts increased.

Oh! So then you would interpret the 4x1 as 4 increases in 1 row (2 at the beginning, 2 at the end of the row)? I thought it meant 4 times 1x1…

I don’t even know why I thought that I had to increase in row 11 as well. You are so right.

Thank you so much, as always saving my rear end! :stuck_out_tongue:

I wish I could get magazines here in English. I get the French ones (this one is from Phildar) translated in Dutch for the Dutch shops. Not that I wouldn’t run into trouble with the patterns, but at least I could tell you what it says exactly. But this will work I think!

Oh yes and one more thing, does it matter what type of increase I do? the m1r at the beginning, and m1l for the end of the row?

No, it’s 2 increases per row: one at the beginning of the row and one at the end of the row. Repeat this increase on 4 more rows Those 4 rows are spaced 8 rows apart.
The increases are 2sts in from the ends to give you a nice edge.
4x1 means that there are 4 increase rows of 1 stitch at each end. The spacing (every 8 rows) tells you the frequency of these rows. In other words, it tells you when to stop doing increases.
As long as you are consistent, it won’t matter which increase you use. M1r and M1l will work fine.

Ohhh I think I see it now. Of course, the total amount of stitches increased tell me when to stop doing increases. And indeed increasing 4 stiches in 1 row would be too much of an addition I guess for a sweater.

I am going to write down what you typed and paste it next to the pattern. I suppose that for experienced knitters these might look easy to follow, but I have the following: first I think I understand it, then I read your second explanation and realize I wasn’t getting it right, then I understand it again, then a minute later I go “huh??” in the middle of a row. So it’s best to have this at hand and make a little drawing or whatever. I’m going to have many more “huh?” moments for sure!

Thank you so so much! You are gold.

A drawing is a great idea. Then you have it right in front of you and you know that you understand it. You’re right that checking the number of increases and matching that to the directions helps make sense of it all.
I also mark the beginning of the increase row with a safety pin or marker so that I can see where the last increase row was. That way I can judge when the next inc row is coming up and count rows.

1 Like

That’s a great tip! With this fuzzy yarn I can totally see myself getting lost in the in between rows!! Thanks again, I hope you don’t get tired of me thanking you but I really, really appreciate it.