Making holes after the event!

Hello everyone!

I’m new here, but have been knitting for ever…I do, however, have a problem that I’m hoping some of you may have some solutions to!

Whilst knitting a sweater with a yo eyelet pattern (and watching too much cricket and not concentrating), I’ve noticed that I’ve missed a hole! I was pressing and blocking prior to sewing the seam and there it was, or wasn’t…

It’s on the back so isn’t vital, but I wondered if there was a way of making a hole, kind of like a buttonhole in an already knitted garment? I’ve tried the lazy persons option of shoving a pen into the place where the hole should be and wiggling it about a bit, but that’s only a temporary measure…!

Thanks in anticipation - great site for knitters by the way!

Jinny x

If you miss a YO and discover it a few rows later, you can pick up the yarn between sts where it should have been and bring it up like fixing a dropped stitch. This only works when you’re a couple rows past it because the sts will be too tight to bring it up any more. So for now, unless you want to cut a hole in your knitting I don’t think there’s a way to put it in.

If it really bothers you, since you’re otherwise all done, try this:
Split one ply out of a few inches of the yarn you were using and thread a regular sewing needle with a sharp point. Pick the spot where the eyelet belongs, then turn the sweater over. Thread the single ply through the yarn of a few stitches on one side (right through the yarn, I mean, not along the stitch), and make sure you pierce the yarn of the stitch on one side of the hole. Double back through that sticth, pull the yarn on your sweing needle up TIGHT and make a very small, tight knot. Bury the end on the stitches where you came in. Do the same thing on the other side. It won’t be a perfect eyelet, but with the stitches squeezed on either side it’ll look as if it belongs.
Can you tell I’m forgetful?:wink:

Thanks for that!

I was hoping I wasn’t the only one who didn’t maintain optimum concentration levels whilst knitting - it’s a sign of an active mind, you know! :wink:

Jinny x

I’ve tried the lazy persons option of shoving a pen into the place where the hole should be and wiggling it about a bit, but that’s only a temporary measure…!

I had to laugh at this. Sounds like something I would try knowing all the while it was futile. :lol:

:cheering:

Becky - you are a star!

My “apre-knitting” eyelet is now sitting happily amongst its friends - I have to carefully scrutinise the wrong side of my sweater to even tell which one it is!

Thanks so much - Jinny x