making a sock pattern smaller size

Hi.:grinning:I was wondering if a person could make a regular sock pattern size smaller?:hushed:if so, how do you do that by making smaller sts?:thinking:What do you guys think?i just what to know if it is possible? Any different opinions would be nice.:smiley:

It’s possible. You need to know the pattern to know how. Basic socks are percentages.

HI Mike.:grinning:What are percentages of basic socks?:thinking:

The heel flap is 50% of the total, that many rows long. I think the turn I do is first knit 52% across before starting the short rows. Toes are just decreases

Have you made socks before? Because if you haven’t I suggest you make a pair before trying to alter a pattern. Either that or find a pattern that has the size you want to begin with till you learn.

1 Like

There are basically TWO ways to make anything smaller – being a sweater or a sock.

These are:

1. use smaller needles, and finer yarn, or
  2. reduce the number of stitches.

The simplest is to use smaller needles. This works to a certain extent. Eventually, the stitches become so very difficult to make that you can’t proceed further. And with smaller needles, you also get a more dense fabric – it has less stretch, and is too firm. So judge accordingly.

I have knit doilies with very fine yarns, and tiny needles, and they came to be small coasters. Then I used a variety of thicker yarns, and correspondingly larger needles (same pattern and number of stitches) and ended up with a variety of sizes, up to a rug with bulky yarn and huge needles! It was still the exact same pattern and number of stitches! Fun experiment.

To reduce the number of stitches is not as simple as it sounds. You have to, literally, re-write the pattern. If you are not experienced in knitting socks, or anything else, to re-write a pattern will be impossible. It’s not as simple as subtracting a number of stitches. You have to keep in mind stitch patterns, and proportions, and fit… That is why you will see patterns written in different sizes which don’t just reduce a number of stitches. Each one is a separate pattern, and requires a lot of figuring.

So try smaller needles first to see if you can reduce the size just a little. If it is a major size difference, just get a new pattern. Much simpler! Someone else has already done the calculations for you!

IMO math sucks. It screws me up all the time. So I learned to knit socks from Lifestyle Toe Up Socks - No Swatch Needed. Increase to the size you need then you can count the stitches and find out how many it takes. This pattern is for a short row heel sock but after getting the foot started you can use other heels, you just need to know when to start if you’re doing a gusset.

Life’s too short to mess around with patterns that don’t fit. Knit to fit keeps it simple.

Oh, GG, no! Math is your friend. I have to stick up for it.
Otherwise, that looks like a very nice method. Thanks for the link.

Math is important, but it is not my friend. I usually have to get help if I can’t figure a work around.

With a friend like that who needs an enema? Sorry, salmonmac, but I really must leave the math to others. It’s wonderful stuff but math and I have agreed to keep our interactions to a minimum. I accept that it’s an important skill that others can wield but my brain just can’t grasp it.

It’s totally possible to do socks and never have to worry much about math. The toe is the swatch. From it I can determine a close-enough sts/inch to be sure my gauge is tight enough. I have measurements to tell me when to start a gusset or short row heel. I can measure 2 1/2" or 3 3/4" and even other lengths. Working two at a time is a coping mechanism for me since counting rows is something I mess up with all the time. I’m actually working on a top down sweater right now (seamless, set in style sleeves that I’ll pu&k directly into the armhole) and to start I only needed to figure out how many stitches for the shoulder “seams” and back neck. It fits like a dream. I wish I could do the math but really I’m able to skirt the issue.

1 Like

A lot of my workarounds involve proportions. I was lucky enough to stumble across a method of starting top down raglan sweaters in crochet that involved very little actual math and it translates into knitting just fine. If you can determine how many stitches for a back neck and shoulder then the increasing just works. Same with many other things. Get the right cast on for a starting point and the rest just follows as long as you understand the construction. My projects tend toward the knit to fit method and mostly I borrow details from patterns.

Math lovers should not read this: My swatching for a garment is easy. Play with needles and yarn to get the combo I like then hold the swatch up to the back of the neck, mark the ends with my thumbs and count the stitches in between. I do the same for the shoulders. I’ll allow a couple extra stitches on the shoulder for whatever I do on the edges, usually pu&k a sleeve or collar.

1 Like