Making a neckband

ok i’m making a sweater and the pattern says:

“with RS facing, and beg at edge of neck, pu and k 54 sts evenly around the neckline. work 1” in k1, p1 rib. loosely BO in rib. join second shoulder seam using 3-needle BO and sew neckband seam."

so i’ve got a couple of questions:

1. am i supposed to pick up 54 sts around the neckline?
  2. and if so, why would i be sewing the seam?
  3. am i supposed to be using a separate set of needles for the neckband from the shoulders? or am supposed to use the same ones?

if i could some help very soon, i will be very thankful!!

It looks like they’re having you connect one shoulder seam, then knit the neck band back and forth. The seam is where your ends of those rows are.

You could, if you’re so inclined, finish both shoulder seams and knit the neckband in the round–no seam.

Pick up stitches and pick up and knit are the same in this instance.

OK, since the second shoulder isn’t bound off, your needles are in there.
Often neckbands are knit in a smaller needle–you might want to double check that.

To be honest, I think knitting it in the round is the way to go, if you have the proper needles for it.

It looks like they’re having you connect one shoulder seam, then knit the neck band back and forth. The seam is where your ends of those rows are.

You could, if you’re so inclined, finish both shoulder seams and knit the neckband in the round–no seam.

Pick up stitches and pick up and knit are the same in this instance.

OK, since the second shoulder isn’t bound off, your needles are in there.
Often neckbands are knit in a smaller needle–you might want to double check that.

To be honest, I think knitting it in the round is the way to go, if you have the proper needles for it.