Make Heel

Hi.I was wondering what this means"Divide 32 sts on 2nd needle onto the other 2 needles and leave for instep’’.How do you divide 32 sts that was on needle 2 onto the other needles?.
Thanks.

Just slip the stitches as if to purl–you won’t do anything to these stitches; you’re just moving them to the other needles.

Have you seen the Working the Heel of a Sock Video by chance?

Silver’s sock class might help you visualize the heel too :thumbsup:

yes ,i had already seen amy’s heel video and the silver’s sock class but i still am confused :??

I started to answer, but then wanted to double check…where are you in your sock pattern? Have you already done your heel flap and turned it? It doesn’t sound like you have.

If that’s the case, needles 1, 2, and 3 will each have 1/3 of your total sts at the end of the leg portion. You need 1/2 of the sts on one needle (needle 1) to work the heel flap. So just slip sts purlwise so that 1/2 of the sts are on needle 1 and 1/4 of the total on each of needles 2 and 3. They’ll just hang out while you’re working the heel on needle 1. The working end of the yarn will be at the end of needle 3, ready to start the heel on needle 1.

I hope this helps! I’m in the middle of a sock class right now and got out my worksheet to double check the info. :smiley:

Hi.Thanks for the information.I’am still abit confused with it.The instructions to where i’am at says:Make Heel Divide 32 sts on 2nd needle onto 2 needles and leave for instep.Knit 18 sts off first needle onto end of third needle.36 sts for heel.What i don’t get is how to you get 36 sts on the 3rd needle for the heel and how many sts on the 2 needles do you need to make 32 sts?.I know that you have to slip the sts purlwise.
Thanks.

I am guessing that you’re working with stitches on 3 needles?? The 32 stitches that are on your second needle are going to be your instep stitches - these are the ones that form the top of the foot of the sock. They are not going to be worked at this time, you are just going to divide those 32 stitches onto 2 needles, of 16 stitches each. Now, you are going to use your third needle to knit the first 18 stitches of needle 1.

Now, I am also guessing that your first heel flap row is likely to be a WS row? If this is the case, at this point (having just knitted the first 18 stitches off needle 1) you will turn your work around and work ONLY on 36 stitches, these will form your heel flap. The rest will be for the instep.

Is there an online link to the pattern you are using?? If not, it would be helpful to know how many stitches total you have on your needles before starting the heel flap?