Make a Cable Pattern Chart?

Hey guys :smiley: I’m making an earflap hat and since I don’t want it to be boring or anything i wanna put a nice cable design in the front and back. The only the wrong is that even though I have the design, I don’t have a chart or anything x.x

I’m thinking of making each cable thingy anywhere from 2-4 stitches each (but I’ve only got 22 stitches in the front of the hat to work with).

What I have so far:

Can I get help with making a chart? 'Cause I really have no clue. @.@ If not then a free program to use?

Thanks in advance :smiley:

What you are asking is a pretty technical question. I have no idea how to create the plans for how to do a cable even from the idea of a cable. I don’t know if there is any kind of a program free or otherwise that can do that. It would be nice if there was. :slight_smile: Maybe someone will know of something, but I have never heard of it.

What I would do if I were you is to look through some stitch guide books like the Harmony Guides or Barbara Walker’s stitch books and find a cable similar and use it or maybe if you study them a lot you can figure out how to turn your cable into a pattern. I don’t think I’ll ever have the smarts to do that. LOL Knittingfool has some free stitches online, I don’t know what she has in the way of cables. Or you could find a pattern in a book or a free online pattern and “borrow” a cable you like for your hat. Good luck and happy knitting.

Wowowow. I’ve never heard of knittingfool before and I just went there now. This would’ve been helpful a few hours ago before I started working on the cables for my hat xD It has a lot of great cable stitches

I found an online knitting chart programand played around with that.

Thanks anyway! Got some new things to look for next time I go to a bookstore at least. :slight_smile:

Wow-that Knitting Fool site is awesome. I just signed up for it. :slight_smile: