Maintaining pattern after decrease

I’m knitting a spring sweater for my daughter (Little Miss Strawberry pattern in the Creative Knitting Magazine - March 2008 issue). The lace pattern for the main part of the sweater is as follows:

[B]Row 1 and all WS rows:[/B] Purl across
[B]Row 2:[/B] Knit across
[B]Row 4:[/B] K5, p3tog, leave sts on needle, yo, purl same 3 sts tog and sl off needle, k5; rep from * across.
[B]Row 6:[/B] Rep Row 2
[B]Row 8:[/B] K1, *p3tog, leave sts on needle, yo, purl same 3 sts tog and sl off needle, k5; rep from *, end last rep k1 instead of k5

Okay, that’s fairly straightforward and no problems.

To shape armholes, I bind off 5 sts at beg of next 2 rows (falls on a Row 2 and Row 3). It then says “Maintaining pat, work even until back measures…” My next row would be a Row 4. It doesn’t give me any changes to incorporate into the pattern, but at the end, I only have 3 sts to knit rather than 5.

Is this a problem? Would you alter the pattern to make it even at both sides? I’ve stopped there for now and wanted opinions before I pick up my knitting again, either tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks, and I hope I was clear enough!

Yes, change row 4 to start with k3, though you’ll have k5 right away to get back in pattern. Or you could start with p3tog instead; then k3 at the end. On row 8 I think you’ll have to start and end with k4.

Thanks! I’ve calculated on paper and you’re right with the changes. To keep the p3togethers even with those in the previous rows, I have to k8 at beg and end of Row 4, and k4 at beg and end of Row 8