M1 vs YO

Don’t know if this is the right place or not, but I’m looking at a pattern and it says to M1 then in parenthesis it says that it’s not the same as YO.

What is the difference and how do I do it?

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

If you check the ‘Basic Techniques’ section of this site you should find little videos of both techniques.

A YO (yarn over) will leave a hole and is used to create lacy patterns. M1 - there are quite a few ways to ‘make one’ that do not leave a hole.

A YO is simply you bringing the yarn under and over the needle (and sometimes under again if your next stitch is a purl st), which as previously stated is used to gave a lacier effect or holes to pass ribbon or string through. M1 requires you to pick up a bar from between the two needles either front to back or back to front and work through either the front or back of the stitch. It gives a smoother fabric with a less noticeable hole. The two methods are generally not interchangeable. Check out the videos than you can decide what works best with your project.
Katrina

Unless it’s a lacy sweater I wouldn’t use yarn over. Make 1 is really fun i would use that.